• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Viral video prompts fraud probe at Minnesota day care centers

by Jonah Kaplan
December 29, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Viral video prompts fraud probe at Minnesota day care centers

RELATED POSTS

Les Wexner, longtime Epstein benefactor, tells Congress he was “duped”

Democratic lawmakers ask watchdogs to probe ex-lobbyists serving in Trump admin.

As Homeland Security agents were in Minnesota conducting what DHS Secretary Kristi Noem called a “massive investigation on childcare and other rampant fraud” on Monday, many of their targets came not from tips from the FBI, but from a video posted on social media over the weekend.

The video, posted by conservative YouTuber Nick Shirley, alleged nearly a dozen day care centers in Minnesota that are receiving public funds are not actually providing any service. As of Monday, the video had been viewed more than 1 million times, according to YouTube’s metrics, and was seen by tens of millions more on X.

“While we have questions about some of the methods used in the video, we do take the concerns that the video raises about fraud very seriously,” said Minnesota Department of Children, Youth, and Families commissioner Tikki Brown.

In addition to the DHS investigations, state officials also visited some of the sites on Monday. They told CBS News two of the centers featured in the video already shut down earlier this year, although one of those centers informed the state late Monday that it plans to remain open.

CBS News conducted its own analysis of nearly a dozen day care centers mentioned by Shirley: all but two have active licenses, according to state records, and all active locations were visited by state regulators within the last six months. One, Sweet Angel Child Care, Inc., was subject to an unannounced inspection as recently as Dec. 4. 

CBS News’ review also found dozens of citations related to safety, cleanliness, equipment, and staff training, among other violations, but there was no recorded evidence of fraud.

CBS News visited and called several of the day care centers on Monday but received no responses.

Monday’s DHS visits come amid what prosecutors allege is a $9 billion COVID-era fraud scandal in Minnesota. Gov. Tim Walz and other state officials have disputed that figure and defended their handling of the crisis.

There are 14 specific Medicaid-funded programs in Minnesota currently under federal investigation, although child care isn’t one of them.  

Earlier this month, CBS News detailed how a group of convicted fraudsters allegedly spent some of the millions of taxpayer dollars stolen by people associated with a nonprofit called Feeding Our Future, which was meant to help feed vulnerable children during the pandemic.

Investigators say fraudulent payouts to the Feeding Our Future program alone were estimated at $250 million, making it the nation’s costliest COVID-era aid scam. 

Walz, a Democrat, previously agreed with an estimate from First Assistant U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson that fraud across all programs, including the Feeding Our Future scheme, which is not a DHS-administered program, could total $1 billion. 

“The fraud is not small. It isn’t isolated. The magnitude cannot be overstated,” Thompson said last week.  

So far, 78 people have been arrested in the Feeding Our Future scheme. A majority of them are Somali Americans, although the program’s leader, Aimee Bock, who was convicted earlier this year, is not. Minnesota has the nation’s largest Somali population.

President Trump has called Minnesota a “hub of fraudulent money laundering activity” and has lashed out against the state’s Somali community, announcing last month that he would end protected status against deportation for Somalis in the state. Earlier this month, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement launched Operation Metro Surge in the Twin Cities, leading to more than 400 arrests.

Minnesota Fraud

More


Share6Tweet4Share1

Jonah Kaplan

Related Posts

Les Wexner, longtime Epstein benefactor, tells Congress he was “duped”
Politics

Les Wexner, longtime Epstein benefactor, tells Congress he was “duped”

February 18, 2026
Democratic lawmakers ask watchdogs to probe ex-lobbyists serving in Trump admin.
Politics

Democratic lawmakers ask watchdogs to probe ex-lobbyists serving in Trump admin.

February 18, 2026
Stephen Colbert slams CBS, says network blocked James Talarico interview
Politics

Stephen Colbert slams CBS, says network blocked James Talarico interview

February 18, 2026
U.S. military strikes 3 more alleged drug boats,  killing 11 people
Politics

U.S. military strikes 3 more alleged drug boats, killing 11 people

February 18, 2026
Judge blocks deportation of Palestinian activist who led protests at Columbia
Politics

Judge blocks deportation of Palestinian activist who led protests at Columbia

February 17, 2026
Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”
Politics

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

February 17, 2026
Next Post
New California tortilla law aims to decrease birth defects in Latino babies

New California tortilla law aims to decrease birth defects in Latino babies

Dutch angry at U.S. for yanking panels honoring Black World War II troops

Dutch angry at U.S. for yanking panels honoring Black World War II troops

Recommended Stories

ICE releases 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos from custody, lawyer says

ICE releases 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos from custody, lawyer says

February 1, 2026
Lutnick defends visit to Epstein’s island with his family

Lutnick defends visit to Epstein’s island with his family

February 10, 2026
Walz: Trump agrees to consider reducing federal surge in Minnesota

Walz: Trump agrees to consider reducing federal surge in Minnesota

January 26, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?