• About
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

by Joe Walsh
February 9, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

RELATED POSTS

The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment

Massie defiant as Trump seeks to oust him in primary: “I’m going to win”

The U.S. military struck its 39th alleged drug-carrying boat on Monday, killing two people and leaving one survivor who is now the focus of a search-and-rescue effort.

The military’s Southern Command said in a post on X it struck a vessel that was “operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations”  and “engaged in narco-trafficking operations.” It did not name the group that allegedly operated the boat, but the Trump administration has listed several Latin American drug cartels as foreign terrorist groups.

A U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson told CBS News that Southern Command notified it on Monday about a “person in distress,” and the Maritime Rescue Coordination Center Ecuador is organizing a search-and-rescue effort for the person.

On Feb. 9, at the direction of #SOUTHCOM commander Gen. Francis L. Donovan, Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations. Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking… pic.twitter.com/fa5vppjcCy

— U.S. Southern Command (@Southcom) February 10, 2026

Some 130 people have been killed since the U.S. military began striking alleged drug boats in the Caribbean Sea and Eastern Pacific Ocean last September. The pace of the strikes slowed somewhat after Jan. 3, when U.S. forces captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. Monday’s boat strike is the third known strike since then.

In at least five instances, people have survived the operations, spurring efforts to find and rescue them in most cases. Authorities have called off several of those searches, though in one October operation, two survivors were picked up by a Navy helicopter and repatriated to their home countries of Ecuador and Colombia.

The military’s handling of survivors has drawn intense scrutiny. During the first boat strike on Sept. 2, two people survived an initial strike but were killed in a follow-on attack, prompting accusations the second strike may have constituted a war crime. Democratic lawmakers who watched a video of the Sept. 2 operation were hightly critical of the strike. The Defense Department and several congressional Republicans have insisted the survivors may have still been in the fight, warranting the follow-on strike.

The Trump administration has said the strikes are necessary to combat narcotics trafficking. It has labeled the alleged seaborne drug smugglers as “unlawful combatants,” and told Congress the U.S. is embroiled in a “non-international armed conflict” with cartels.

Most Democratic lawmakers have criticized the strikes, arguing the administration hasn’t provided enough evidence that the boats were trafficking drugs to the U.S. and has failed to get authorization from Congress for the military campaign. Several efforts by congressional Democrats to restrict the boat strikes have fallen short in the House and Senate.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Joe Walsh

Related Posts

The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment
Politics

The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment

May 18, 2026
Massie defiant as Trump seeks to oust him in primary: “I’m going to win”
Politics

Massie defiant as Trump seeks to oust him in primary: “I’m going to win”

May 18, 2026
Who could benefit from Trump’s $1.7+ billion “weaponization” fund?
Politics

Who could benefit from Trump’s $1.7+ billion “weaponization” fund?

May 18, 2026
Trump says he’s called off plans for a “scheduled attack of Iran”
Politics

Trump says he’s called off plans for a “scheduled attack of Iran”

May 18, 2026
U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda
Politics

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

May 18, 2026
Cuba’s leader says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after military drone report
Politics

Cuba’s leader says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after military drone report

May 18, 2026
Next Post
Watch Live: ICE chief, immigration officials testify at House hearing

Watch Live: ICE chief, immigration officials testify at House hearing

Court unseals more records in Fulton County suit over FBI search

Court unseals more records in Fulton County suit over FBI search

Recommended Stories

What states could try to redistrict and add more GOP seats

What states could try to redistrict and add more GOP seats

May 1, 2026
Cotton pushes bill to help critical infrastructure defend against drone threat

Cotton pushes bill to help critical infrastructure defend against drone threat

April 23, 2026
Strike on alleged drug boat kills 3 in Caribbean Sea, U.S. military says

Strike on alleged drug boat kills 3 in Caribbean Sea, U.S. military says

April 19, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    39 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Quiet and the New Era of Anonymous Car Culture Online

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?