• About
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

RFK Jr. announces move to decertify organ procurement organization

by Kaia Hubbard
September 18, 2025
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
RFK Jr. announces move to decertify organ procurement organization

RELATED POSTS

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Cuba’s leader says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after military drone report

Washington — Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced on Thursday new action to reform the nation’s organ transplant system, as well as a a move to decertify an organ procurement organization.

“Every American should feel safe becoming an organ donor and giving the gift of life, yet decades of ignored patient safety concerns have driven more and more Americans off the donor list,” Kennedy said. “Today, under President Trump’s leadership, we are taking bold action and historic action to restore trust in the organ procurement process.”

Transplant experts said last year there had been a spike in people revoking organ donor registrations, after a report that a Kentucky man who’d been declared dead woke up just as a team was preparing to remove his organs. Since then, there have been more reports of attempts to remove organs from patients who had mistakenly been declared dead. 

Kennedy said at a news conference that “we are acting because of years of documented patient safety data failures and repeated violations of federal requirements, and we intend this decision to serve as a clear warning.”

The secretary said the Life Alliance Organ Recovery Agency, a division of the University of Miami Health System, “has a long record of deficiencies directly tied to patient harm.”

“Unlike the Biden administration, which ignored these problems and failed to act, the Trump administration is setting a new standard that patient safety comes first,” Kennedy said. 

Kennedy said along with the decertification, HHS is reforming the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and “investing in new ways to encourage organ donation.”

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. speaks during a press conference on the steps of the United States Department of Agriculture on July 14, 2025 in Washington, D.C.

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. speaks during a press conference on the steps of the United States Department of Agriculture on July 14, 2025 in Washington, D.C.

Michael M. Santiago / Getty Images


In July, HHS announced a plan to begin reforming the organ transplant system, citing a federal investigation that “revealed disturbing practices by a major organ procurement organization.”

Kennedy said in a statement at the time that the investigation, conducted by the Health Resources and Services Administration under HHS, showed “that hospitals allowed the organ procurement process to begin when patients showed signs of life,” calling it “horrifying” and pledging to hold accountable organ procurement organizations that coordinate access to transplants. 

HHS said the investigation examined 351 cases where organ donation was “authorized, but ultimately not completed,” finding that nearly 30% showed “concerning features,” like neurological signs in patients that the agency said are incompatible with organ donation. And at least 28 patients “may not have been deceased at the time organ procurement was initiated.”

More than 100,000 people are on the national transplant waiting list, and 13 people die each day waiting for a transplant, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration. 

Kennedy has been pushing major changes to the nation’s health care systems since he was sworn in earlier this year. And he has faced criticism in recent weeks over his leadership of the department amid a number of departures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Wednesday, Susan Monarez, who was ousted as CDC director by Kennedy less than a month after she was confirmed, testified before a Senate committee that she faced pressure from the secretary to change the childhood vaccine schedule, regardless of whether there was scientific evidence to support doing so.

Kennedy testified before a different Senate committee earlier this month, where he defended the CDC shake-up, saying changes at the health agency were “absolutely necessary.” The secretary denied pressuring the former director to preapprove upcoming vaccine recommendations, and accused her of lying about why she was fired.

Kaia Hubbard

Kaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital, based in Washington, D.C.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Kaia Hubbard

Related Posts

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda
Politics

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

May 18, 2026
Cuba’s leader says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after military drone report
Politics

Cuba’s leader says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after military drone report

May 18, 2026
Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns
Politics

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

May 18, 2026
Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds
Politics

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

May 18, 2026
5/17: CBS Weekend News
Politics

5/17: CBS Weekend News

May 17, 2026
Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain
Politics

Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain

May 17, 2026
Next Post
CDC’s vaccine advisory panel to vote on measles, hepatitis B shots

CDC's vaccine advisory panel to vote on measles, hepatitis B shots

Erika Kirk speaks out for first time since Charlie Kirk shooting

Erika Kirk, Charlie Kirk's widow, named CEO of Turning Point USA

Recommended Stories

Senate GOP advances budget resolution, kickstarting process to fund ICE

Senate GOP advances budget resolution, kickstarting process to fund ICE

April 21, 2026
Taiwan to be key issue at Trump’s summit with China’s President Xi

Taiwan to be key issue at Trump’s summit with China’s President Xi

May 10, 2026
A Chinese community in New York City reacts to the Trump-Xi Beijing summit

A Chinese community in New York City reacts to the Trump-Xi Beijing summit

May 14, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Quiet and the New Era of Anonymous Car Culture Online

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?