• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Hegseth, Caine give Iran war update at Pentagon

by Jake Ryan
March 13, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Hegseth: Today “most intense day” of attacks on Iran, Trump to determine “end stage”

RELATED POSTS

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs Chairman Dan Caine briefed reporters at the Pentagon Friday on the latest developments in the war with Iran, a day after a U.S. military refueling tanker crashed in western Iraq.

At least four U.S. service members were killed the crash in Iraq, according to the U.S. military, which said rescue efforts were still underway for two other crew members. Hegseth said of the crash that “bad things happen,” and he praised the crew as heroes.

Caine said the crash occurred over friendly territory while the crew was on a combat mission. He said it was not due to hostile or friendly fire, and he confirmed that the rescue operation is continuing.

Iran’s missile volume is down 90%, Hegseth told reporters during the briefing. All of Iran’s defense companies will be destroyed — all have been “functionally defeated,” Hegseth told reporters Friday.

Central Command said Thursday the military had struck about 6,000 targets inside Iran since the war began on Feb. 28, and President Trump said on the same day that the “situation with Iran is moving along very rapidly.” 

But Iran’s assaults have continued, and oil prices have risen to over $100 a barrel while stock prices are sliding, even in the face of the president’s assertions that he’ll end the war soon and announcements of major oil reserve releases. 

Ship traffic remains largely stopped in the Strait of Hormuz, though Bessent has said the U.S. Navy could escort oil tankers through the Strait.

U.S. forces are “continuing to destroy the Iranian navy,” Caine said, “and this means going after Iran’s mining capability and destroying their ability to go after commercial vessels,” There are some mine operations, Caine said, and CENTCOM continues to attack the Iranian efforts, Caine said.

“That’s not a strait we’re going to allow to remain contested,” Hegseth said.

Asked whether Iran is placing new mines in the Strait of Hormuz, Hegseth said “We have no clear evidence of that.”

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced on Thursday that the U.S. would temporarily loosen sanctions against Russia, to allow the Kremlin to sell Russian oil that’s already at sea. It’s an effort to loosen the wartime sanctions that restrict Russia’s oil industry as the world grapples with high oil prices.

Asked about whether Iran’s nuclear program and whether U.S. military would need to take control of the enriched uranium in Iran’s possession in order to conclude its military operation, Hegseth only said that the U.S. retains options to keep Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. “We have options, for sure,” he said.

Hegseth was also asked about the military investigation into the bombing of an elementary school in Iran and reports that a preliminary probe suggested that the U.S. was responsible for the strike. Hegseth said CENTCOM has designated an investigating officer from outside CENTCOM to carry out a command investigation of the incident, but declined to give a timeframe for the investigation.

So far, the administration has said little about Iran’s new Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, who was said by an Iranian official to have been injured in the attack, but is “alive and well,” though he has not been seen since the war began. Iranian state media released a statement attributed to him on Thursday that said Iran should keep leveraging its stranglehold on the Strait of Hormuz and vowed to continue attacks on targets in Gulf Arab nations.

Hegseth said Friday of Khamenei, “We know the new not-so-Supreme Leader is wounded and likely disfigured,” noting that the statement released by Iran was written and included no image of him.

The War with Iran

More


Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

Jake Ryan

Jake Ryan is a social media manager and journalist based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. When he's not playing rust, he's either tweeting, walking, or writing about Oklahoma stuff.

Related Posts

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race
Politics

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race

August 18, 2026
8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

August 18, 2026
Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon
Politics

Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon

August 18, 2026
Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places
Politics

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places

August 18, 2026
Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight
Politics

Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight

August 18, 2026
Former DOJ lawyer alleges government improperly targeted Ivy League schools
Politics

Former DOJ lawyer alleges government improperly targeted Ivy League schools

August 18, 2026
Next Post
These 2 bills would erase income taxes for millions of Americans

These 2 bills would erase income taxes for millions of Americans

Trump announces Ric Grenell stepping aside as Kennedy Center president

Trump announces Ric Grenell stepping aside as Kennedy Center president

Recommended Stories

Sen. Peters wants to know why ICE bought spyware that can take control of phones

Sen. Peters wants to know why ICE bought spyware that can take control of phones

July 24, 2026
Mamdani says he won’t try to arrest Israel’s Netanyahu

Mamdani says he won’t try to arrest Israel’s Netanyahu

July 21, 2026
ICE plans to give officers gloves that can deliver electric shocks

ICE plans to give officers gloves that can deliver electric shocks

August 12, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    105 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?