• About
  • Contact
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

by Jake Ryan
August 29, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

The first Black mayor of a tiny Alabama town overwhelmingly won election this week, four years after he says White residents locked him out of the town hall and refused to let him serve.

Incumbent Mayor Patrick Braxton was elected as the mayor of Newbern, winning 66 votes to his opponent’s 26, according to results posted by the town. His victory puts a punctuation mark in the dispute over control of the town government that drew national attention.

“The people came out and spoke and voted. Now, there ain’t no doubt what they want for this town,” Braxton said in a telephone interview Wednesday night.

The election Tuesday was the town’s first since at least the 1960s, held under a federal settlement. Black residents had sued, challenging what they called the town’s “hand-me-down governance” and refusal to let Braxton serve after he ran unopposed for mayor in 2020.

Newbern’s residents number just 133 people. A library, the town hall, a mercantile and a flashing caution light anchor the downtown, about 40 miles west of Selma.

screen-shot-2023-07-22-at-11-36-29-am.png

Patrick Braxton.

Alabama Love


RELATED POSTS

Who’s who in Cuba’s leadership? Here are the names to know.

What to know about today’s primaries in Georgia, Kentucky and more

What the town had been without is elections.

Newbern’s mayor-council government had not been put to a vote for six decades. Instead, town officials held “hand-me-down” positions, with each mayor appointing a successor who appointed the council members, according to the lawsuit filed by Braxton and others and reviewed by CBS News. 

The result was an overwhelmingly White government in a town where Black residents outnumber White residents 2-1. Only one Black person ever served on the town council. 

Braxton, a volunteer firefighter, qualified in 2020 to run for the nonpartisan position of mayor. He said that he ran because he had “concerns that the Town Council and Mayor were not responding to the needs of the majority Black community” in Newbern. In his lawsuit, he alleged that the previous mayor gave him the wrong information about how to run for the office. 

Braxton was the only candidate for mayor in 2020, becoming mayor-elect without an election. He alleged that previous town leaders did not provide public notice about the election. He then appointed a new town council, as other mayors have done. Braxton asked both Black and White residents to serve, but no White residents agreed to join his council, according to the lawsuit. 

But the locks were changed at the town hall multiple times, and Braxton was denied access to the town’s financial accounts. His lawsuit also alleged that outgoing council members held a secret meeting to set up a special election and “fraudulently reappointed themselves as the town council.” 

“I didn’t get a chance to serve but one year out of the five years,” said Braxton, who finally occupied the office last year after a three-year legal battle.

Town officials had denied wrongdoing, arguing in court filings that Braxton’s claim to be mayor was “invalid.”

The settlement agreement included a promise to hold a mayoral election in 2025.

Braxton had one challenger this time — a White auctioneer and Realtor, Laird Cole.

“Mayor Braxton’s election represents a turning point for Newbern, restoring democratic governance, ensuring fair representation, and reaffirming that every resident has a voice in their local government,” Madison Hollon, program manager of political campaigns for the SPLC Action Fund, said Thursday. The group endorsed Braxton in the race.

The mayor said his lopsided victory should eliminate any “doubts people had hanging in their heads on if people want me.”

“It feels good the second time,” Braxton said.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Jake Ryan

Jake Ryan is a social media manager and journalist based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. When he's not playing rust, he's either tweeting, walking, or writing about Oklahoma stuff.

Related Posts

Who’s who in Cuba’s leadership? Here are the names to know.
Politics

Who’s who in Cuba’s leadership? Here are the names to know.

May 19, 2026
What to know about today’s primaries in Georgia, Kentucky and more
Politics

What to know about today’s primaries in Georgia, Kentucky and more

May 19, 2026
What to know about today’s primaries in Georgia, Kentucky and more
Politics

What to know about today’s primaries in Georgia, Kentucky and more

May 19, 2026
Eroding ACA enrollment portends higher insurance rates
Politics

Eroding ACA enrollment portends higher insurance rates

May 19, 2026
The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment
Politics

The story of Cuba’s 1996 shootdown that could lead to Raúl Castro’s indictment

May 18, 2026
Trump admin. proposes admitting thousands more Afrikaners to U.S. as refugees
Politics

Trump admin. proposes admitting thousands more Afrikaners to U.S. as refugees

May 18, 2026
Next Post
Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them

Appeals court rules many of Trump's tariffs are illegal, but doesn't halt them

Recommended Stories

Man facing ICE deportation to the Congo: “I feel like a person who has no value”

Man facing ICE deportation to the Congo: “I feel like a person who has no value”

May 1, 2026
Lawmakers seek crackdown on China-owned U.S. farmland

Lawmakers seek crackdown on China-owned U.S. farmland

May 13, 2026
Iran war’s true cost closer to $50 billion, not $25 billion, U.S. officials say

Iran war’s true cost closer to $50 billion, not $25 billion, U.S. officials say

April 30, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    39 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • UnitedHealth says it has made progress on recovering from a massive cyberattack

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?