• About
  • Contact
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Democrats make counteroffer on ICE reforms as DHS shutdown continues

by Kaia Hubbard
February 17, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Democrats make counteroffer on ICE reforms as DHS shutdown continues

Washington — Democrats sent a counteroffer on overhauling immigration enforcement to the White House and Republicans on Monday, the latest development in talks over how to fund the Department of Homeland Security.

Funding lapsed on Saturday for DHS, which oversees Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection. Democrats vowed to oppose funding without reforms to ICE and CBP following two deadly shootings by federal agents during the immigration crackdown in Minneapolis last month.

A short-term funding extension aimed at giving negotiators more time to reach a deal ended late last week without a resolution, though Democrats and the White House traded proposals and draft legislation. A spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer confirmed Democrats made their latest offer late Monday, but details weren’t immediately clear.

Lawmakers are away from Washington on recess this week as the negotiations continue. Congressional leaders say members would be called back should a deal be reached. But comments from both sides in recent days have indicated that no agreement is imminent.

A White House official said Tuesday that “the parties are still pretty far apart.” 

Spokespeople for Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said later Tuesday they’ve “continued working through language and additional issues to make progress, but Republicans have largely ignored the core guardrails Americans are demanding.”

Schumer reiterated Democrats’ demands in an interview on CNN on Sunday. He said Democrats have “three basic objectives to rein in ICE and end the violence,” including the end of roving patrols and barring ICE agents from entering certain places; a use-of-force code for immigration enforcement agents; and requiring agents not to wear masks and to don body cameras. 

“These are common-sense proposals, they’re supported by the American people,” Schumer said. “Why won’t the Republicans go for them? They don’t give any good answers. It’s something that every police department does across the country, but ICE is rogue, out of control.”

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks during a news conference, at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 12, 2026.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks during a news conference at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 12, 2026.

Graeme Sloan / Bloomberg via Getty Images


RELATED POSTS

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms

Democrats first outlined a longer list of the demands late last month. And although there’s appeared to be some common ground with Republicans on some of the proposals, like the use of body cameras, other issues have been divisive. 

President Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday that he would sit down with Democrats this week on DHS funding. But he said “I don’t like some of the things they’re asking for.”

“We’re going to protect law enforcement,” Mr. Trump said. “We’re going to protect ICE.”

Democrats’ demand that federal immigration agents be required to do away with masks has faced strong pushback from Republicans, who say it’s a matter of safety. White House border czar Tom Homan said on “Face the Nation” Sunday that while he doesn’t like that agents wear masks, he believes they need to wear them to protect themselves, citing an increase in assaults and threats.

In the meantime, funding for DHS remains in limbo. ICE and CBP will continue operating due to an influx of funds in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act passed last year. But the department also includes the Transportation Security Administration, the Coast Guard and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, all of which are impacted by the shutdown. Most employees at those agencies continue to work during a shutdown, but don’t get paid until it’s over. 

How long the department’s shutdown could last remains to be seen. Unless a deal is struck, lawmakers aren’t set to return to Washington until Feb. 23, a day before Mr. Trump is scheduled to deliver the State of the Union address. 

Asked Monday whether he would still deliver the State of the Union if the funding lapse hasn’t been resolved, Mr. Trump said “I think I would.”

“It wouldn’t bother me,” the president added. 

Gabrielle Ake and

Nikole Killion

contributed to this report.

Government Shutdown

More


Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Kaia Hubbard

Related Posts

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”
Politics

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

February 17, 2026
Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms
Politics

Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms

February 17, 2026
Trump blames D.C., Maryland and Virginia for massive Potomac River sewage spill
Politics

Trump blames D.C., Maryland and Virginia for massive Potomac River sewage spill

February 17, 2026
U.S. Air Force VIP fleet being repainted in Trump’s preferred palette, sources say
Politics

U.S. Air Force VIP fleet being repainted in Trump’s preferred palette, sources say

February 17, 2026
Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post
Politics

Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post

February 17, 2026
Jesse Jackson remembered as “a role model for a generation”
Politics

Jesse Jackson remembered as “a role model for a generation”

February 17, 2026
Next Post
Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms

Iran calls talks with U.S. "more constructive" as Trump's threat looms

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as "force of nature"

Recommended Stories

ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations leading probe into Alex Pretti shooting

ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations leading probe into Alex Pretti shooting

January 25, 2026
U.S. Olympian responds after Trump calls him “a real loser”

U.S. Olympian responds after Trump calls him “a real loser”

February 9, 2026
House to vote on the SAVE America Act as GOP makes election bill push

House to vote on the SAVE America Act as GOP makes election bill push

February 11, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.N. Security Council approves U.S.-brokered Gaza peace plan

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?