• About
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Maduro says Venezuela open to U.S. talks on drug trafficking

by Jake Ryan
January 2, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Maduro says Venezuela open to U.S. talks on drug trafficking

RELATED POSTS

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro said he is open to talks with the United States on drug trafficking, oil and migration issues amid weeks of an escalating pressure campaign by the Trump administration.

In a pretaped interview on state TV that aired Thursday, the South American leader said he is ready for dialogue with the U.S. “wherever they want to whenever they want.” He evaded a question about a strike last week at a Venezuela docking area that the Trump administration believed was used by cartels.

During the interview, Maduro reiterated that the U.S. wants to force a government change in Venezuela and gain access to its vast oil reserves through the monthslong pressure campaign that began with a massive military deployment to the Caribbean Sea in August.

“What are they seeking? It is clear that they seek to impose themselves through threats, intimidation and force,” Maduro said, later adding that it is time for both nations to “start talking seriously, with data in hand.”

“The U.S. government knows, because we’ve told many of their spokespeople, that if they want to seriously discuss an agreement to combat drug trafficking, we’re ready,” he said. “If they want oil, Venezuela is ready for U.S. investment, like with Chevron, whenever they want it, wherever they want it and however they want it.”

Chevron Corp. is the only major oil company exporting Venezuelan crude to the U.S. Venezuela has the world’s largest proven oil reserves.

The interview was taped on New Year’s Eve, the same day the U.S. military announced strikes against five more alleged drug-smuggling boats. The latest attacks bring the total number of known boat strikes to 35 and the number of people killed to at least 115, according to numbers announced by the Trump administration. Venezuelans are among the victims.

President Trump has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs into the United States and asserted that the U.S. is engaged in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels. The strikes began off Venezuela’s Caribbean coast and later expanded to the eastern Pacific Ocean.

The Trump administration has accused Maduro of drug trafficking and working with gangs designated by the U.S. as terrorist organizations — which Maduro denies. 

In a major escalation to the campaign, Mr. Trump, who has repeatedly threatened land strikes against Venezuela, said the U.S. hit a “big facility” last week linked to alleged drug boat operations, although he didn’t offer many details.

“There was a major explosion in the dock area where they load the boats up with drugs,” Mr. Trump said Monday as he spoke to reporters at Mar-a-Lago.

The Associated Press, citing two people familiar with the details of the operation, reported that the CIA was behind the drone strike. It was the first known direct operation on Venezuelan soil since the boat strikes began.

The CIA declined to comment on its reported involvement in this operation.

Asked about the operation on Venezuelan soil, Maduro said he could “talk about it in a few days.”

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

Share6Tweet4Share1

Jake Ryan

Jake Ryan is a social media manager and journalist based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. When he's not playing rust, he's either tweeting, walking, or writing about Oklahoma stuff.

Related Posts

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors
Politics

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

February 19, 2026
Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize
Politics

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

February 19, 2026
Man sprays Rep. Ilhan Omar with unknown substance at town hall
Politics

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

February 19, 2026
Key legislators seek DOJ records on Alex Pretti and Renee Good killings by next week
Politics

Judge holds DOJ lawyer in contempt as tensions flare over immigration cases

February 19, 2026
Trump administration orders review of refugees who entered under Biden, memo shows
Politics

Trump administration gives ICE broader powers to detain legal refugees

February 18, 2026
Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups
Politics

Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Judge orders alleged D.C. pipe bomber to remain detained pending trial

Judge orders alleged D.C. pipe bomber to remain detained pending trial

White House aiming to get final approval for Trump-backed ballroom by March

White House aiming to get final approval for Trump-backed ballroom by March

Recommended Stories

House to vote on final funding measures ahead of shutdown deadline

House to vote on final funding measures ahead of shutdown deadline

January 22, 2026
House to return looking to avoid prolonged partial funding lapse

House to return looking to avoid prolonged partial funding lapse

February 2, 2026
Vance acknowledges Minnesota Department of Corrections cooperating with ICE

Vance acknowledges Minnesota Department of Corrections cooperating with ICE

January 22, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?