More than 500 jobs at the Voice of America and other government-funded international broadcasters will be cut, a Trump administration official said. The move could ratchet up a monthslong legal challenge over the news outlets’ fate.
Kari Lake, acting CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media, announced the latest round of job cuts in a social media post late Friday.
“We are conducting this (reduction in force) at the President’s direction to help reduce the federal bureaucracy, improve agency service and save the American people more of their hard-earned money,” Lake said in a statement. “USAGM will continue to fulfill its statutory mission after this RIF – and will likely improve its ability to function and provide the truth to people across the world who live under murderous Communist governments and other tyrannical regimes.”
Jose Luis Magana / AP
The announcement came one day after a federal judge blocked Lake from removing Michael Abramowitz as VOA director.
U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth had ruled separately that the Republican administration had failed to show how it was complying with his orders to restore VOA’s operations. His order on Monday gave the administration “one final opportunity, short of a contempt trial” to demonstrate its compliance. He ordered Lake to sit for a deposition by lawyers for agency employees by Sept. 15.
On Thursday, Lamberth said Abramowitz could not be removed without the approval of the majority of the International Broadcasting Advisory Board. Firing Abramowitz would be “plainly contrary to law,” according to Lamberth, who was nominated to the bench by Republican President Ronald Reagan.
Lake posted a statement on social media that said her agency had initiated a reduction in force, or RIF, eliminating 532 jobs for full-time government employees. She said the agency “will continue to fulfill its statutory mission after this RIF— and will likely improve its ability to function.”
“I look forward to taking additional steps in the coming months to improve the functioning of a very broken agency and make sure America’s voice is heard abroad where it matters most,” she wrote.
A group of agency employees who sued to block VOA’s elimination said Lake’s move would give their colleagues 30 days until their pay and benefits end.
“We find Lake’s continued attacks on our agency abhorrent,” they said in a statement. “We are looking forward to her deposition to hear whether her plan to dismantle VOA was done with the rigorous review process that Congress requires. So far we have not seen any evidence of that.”
In June, layoff notices were sent to more than 600 agency employees. Abramowitz was placed on administrative leave along with almost the entire VOA staff. He was told he would be fired effective Aug. 31.
The administration said in a court filing Thursday that it planned to send RIF notices to 486 employees of VOA and 46 other agency employees but intended to retain 158 agency employees and 108 VOA employees. The filing said the global media agency had 137 “active employees” and 62 other employees on administrative leave, while VOA had 86 active employees and 512 others on administrative leave.
The U.S. government-funded broadcaster began during World War II, broadcasting in German to provide people in Germany with accurate news and information. The Nazis tried suppressing VOA by jamming its signals and later, the communist leaders of the Soviet Union and China sought to silence it during the Cold War. The ayatollahs in Iran and the Kim family in North Korea have also sought to block it out.
The mission of VOA is to broadcast reliable, objective news in countries where press freedom is in short supply.
Republican Congresswoman Young Kim of California, earlier this year, told CBS’ “60 Minutes” that she worries the U.S. is ceding the airwaves to foreign dictators by shutting down VOA.
“When we are in an information war and we stop broadcasting into those repressive governments and into repressive societies … they are not going to hear the truth,” she said.
The agency also houses Radio Free Europe and Asia and Radio Marti, which beams Spanish-language news into Cuba. The networks, which together reach an estimated 427 million people, date to the Cold War and are part of a network of government-funded organizations trying to extend U.S. influence and combat authoritarianism.