• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Taxpayers will help fund Independence Arch, or so-called “Arc de Trump”

by Kathryn Watson
April 9, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Taxpayers will help fund Independence Arch, or so-called “Arc de Trump”

RELATED POSTS

U.S. indicts Cuba’s Raúl Castro and 5 others

Live updating Pennsylvania 2026 primary election results


Washington — American taxpayers will help fund the construction of President Trump’s planned triumphal arch in Arlington, Virginia, according to the spending plan for the National Endowment for the Humanities released by the administration this week. 

According to the endowment’s spending plan approved by the Office of Management and Budget in September, $2 million in special initiative funds and $13 million in matching funds “are reserved for the arch.” The National Endowment for the Humanities, an independent federal agency, often funds projects through a combination of federal dollars and matching private contributions. NOTUS first reported that taxpayer funds are expected to be used for the arch. 

It’s not yet clear what private funds may go toward Independence Arch, though the president previously indicated that leftover private funds from his White House ballroom addition could be used. The White House has not yet disclosed an estimated cost for the arch. The president has said the massive ballroom he’s building at the White House at a cost of $300 million to $400 million will be funded entirely by private donors, in contrast to the arch.

OMB and NEH did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

The president says the arch will commemorate the nation’s 250th anniversary, and he’s previously displayed a model in the Oval Office. The renderings and model show an arc resembling France’s Arc de Triomphe sitting across from the Lincoln Memorial on the Virginia side of the Potomac River by Washington, D.C. The president said he wants the arch to be the “biggest one of all” in the world, even though the proposed site is situated along a flight path for nearby Reagan National Airport. 

“It’s the only city in the world that’s of great importance that doesn’t have a triumphal arc,” the president said in December. “… And this one is going to blow them all away. The one that people know mostly is the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France. And we’re going to top it by I think a lot.”

When CBS News’ Ed O’Keefe asked the president in October whom the arch is for, he responded, “Me. Going to be beautiful.” After the president said the arch was for him, some nicknamed it the “Arc de Trump.” 

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

Kathryn Watson

Related Posts

U.S. indicts Cuba’s Raúl Castro and 5 others
Politics

U.S. indicts Cuba’s Raúl Castro and 5 others

May 20, 2026
DOJ prepares to send election monitors to California, New Jersey
Politics

Live updating Pennsylvania 2026 primary election results

May 19, 2026
Senate advances resolution to limit Trump’s Iran war powers for first time
Politics

Senate advances resolution to limit Trump’s Iran war powers for first time

May 19, 2026
Chinese companies probed over cuts to shipping container production before pandemic
Politics

Chinese companies probed over cuts to shipping container production before pandemic

May 19, 2026
Federal prosecutors open new criminal probe into Maduro, sources say
Politics

Federal prosecutors open new criminal probe into Maduro, sources say

May 19, 2026
Who’s who in Cuba’s leadership? Here are the names to know.
Politics

Who’s who in Cuba’s leadership? Here are the names to know.

May 19, 2026
Next Post
DOJ probing NFL over games on paid platforms, sources say

DOJ probing NFL over games on paid platforms, sources say

U.S. to lead ceasefire talks between Lebanon and Israel in D.C.

U.S. to lead ceasefire talks between Lebanon and Israel in D.C.

Recommended Stories

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

May 18, 2026
Senate GOP revising White House ballroom security funds plan

Senate GOP revising White House ballroom security funds plan

May 17, 2026
Cotton pushes bill to help critical infrastructure defend against drone threat

Cotton pushes bill to help critical infrastructure defend against drone threat

April 23, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • UnitedHealth says it has made progress on recovering from a massive cyberattack

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?