• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Lawyer for lawmaker in video to troops threatens suit after failed charges

by Sarah N. Lynch Kaia Hubbard
February 11, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Lawyer for lawmaker in video to troops threatens suit after failed charges

Washington — An attorney for one of the lawmakers who appeared in a video telling members of the military to reject “illegal orders” demanded that the top federal prosecutor in Washington preserve records for a potential lawsuit if her office takes any further action related to the video.

Abbe Lowell, an attorney for Democratic Rep. Jason Crow of Colorado, wrote in a letter to U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro that he was putting her and her office “on notice of the legal ramification” if they continue to pursue charges. A grand jury declined to sign off on an indictment against Crow and five other lawmakers on Tuesday, multiple sources told CBS News.

“The reports that your Office tried, and failed, to secure an indictment against Congressman Crow represents a breathtaking and unprecedented level of prosecutorial overreach and misuse of power,” Lowell wrote. “Equally disturbing is the Justice Department’s practice of ignoring numerous decisions of judges and juries who have rejected attempts to file baseless charges.”

Lowell cited principles of federal prosecution requiring probable cause that a person has committed a federal offense to request or conduct further investigation, writing that “any further effort to pursue these baseless allegations would be actionable.” He said Pirro and her staff are “hereby obligated to preserve any and all information, communications, documents, and electronically stored information … that may be relevant to the claims and defenses in this matter.”

Rep. Jason Crow speaks to the media on Capitol Hill on Dec. 16, 2025 in Washington, DC.

Rep. Jason Crow speaks to the media on Capitol Hill on Dec. 16, 2025, in Washington, D.C. 

RELATED POSTS

Prosecutors say bullet engraving shows Charlie Kirk was shot over his politics

Sen. Dan Sullivan, Mary Peltola advance in Alaska Senate primary

Heather Diehl / Getty Images


Crow was one of six Democratic lawmakers who released a video in November urging service members and members of the intelligence community to defy illegal orders, citing threats to the Constitution. The lawmakers, who are all veterans or former national security officials, also included Sens. Mark Kelly of Arizona and Elissa Slotkin of Michigan, and Reps. Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania and Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire.

Slotkin said at a news conference alongside Kelly on Wednesday that “we need to stay on offense,” and that the two senators have “kept all of our legal options open as we go forward.” Slotkin said she sent a letter to Pirro and Attorney General Pam Bondi last week demanding they retain records. She said she sent another inquiry earlier Wednesday to confirm that “this is over” and another attempt at prosecution won’t be pursued. Sen. Dick Durbin, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, also sent a letter requesting documents be preserved this week.

Two sources who were briefed on the failed indictment told CBS News that the Justice Department sought to charge the lawmakers under a criminal statute that threatens a 10-year prison sentence for anybody who “advises, counsels, urges, or in any manner causes or attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty by any member of the military.” It requires intent to “interfere with, impair, or influence the loyalty, morale, or discipline of the military.”

Lowell wrote in his letter that the “baseless and absurd allegations by Donald Trump, followed by your carrying out of the President’s political retribution campaign has already gone too far, and are evidence of yet another abuse of power directed at those who dare speak out and criticize this Administration.”

“Congressman Crow went to war three times for this country as a paratrooper and Army Ranger — he will not be intimidated or silenced,” the letter concluded. “Congressman Crow has dedicated his life to defending our democracy and the nation he loves, and nothing will stop that.”

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Sarah N. Lynch Kaia Hubbard

Related Posts

Prosecutors say bullet engraving shows Charlie Kirk was shot over his politics
Politics

Prosecutors say bullet engraving shows Charlie Kirk was shot over his politics

August 19, 2026
Sen. Dan Sullivan, Mary Peltola advance in Alaska Senate primary
Politics

Sen. Dan Sullivan, Mary Peltola advance in Alaska Senate primary

August 19, 2026
Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race
Politics

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race

August 18, 2026
8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

August 18, 2026
U.S., South Korea cut short their joint military drills at Trump’s direction
Politics

U.S., South Korea cut short their joint military drills at Trump’s direction

August 18, 2026
Scandal-ridden Cory Mills ousted in GOP primary in Florida’s 7th District
Politics

Scandal-ridden Cory Mills ousted in GOP primary in Florida’s 7th District

August 18, 2026
Next Post
Trump says governors from both parties are invited to White House, except 2 Democrats

Trump says governors from both parties are invited to White House, except 2 Democrats

House votes to rescind Trump’s Canada tariffs

House votes to rescind Trump's Canada tariffs

Recommended Stories

State Department revokes visa of Brazil’s ambassador to the U.S.

State Department revokes visa of Brazil’s ambassador to the U.S.

August 4, 2026
Member of Vance’s Secret Service detail under investigation for leaking

Member of Vance’s Secret Service detail under investigation for leaking

July 23, 2026
U.S. fired at Iranian vessel that approached aircraft carrier, officials say

Democratic senators demand answers about conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln

August 13, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    105 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?