• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Federal government appealing order releasing 5-year-old from immigration custody

by Lilia Luciano
April 1, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
How Minneapolis became ground zero in Trump’s immigration crackdown

The federal government may try to send 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos back to detention.

The Justice Department filed a notice of appeal Wednesday in federal court in Texas, challenging a January ruling that freed the 5-year-old Minnesota resident and his father, Adrian Conejo Arias, from an immigration detention facility. The father and son were taken into custody by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers during a crackdown in the Minneapolis area earlier this year, drawing nationwide attention.

The filing, obtained by CBS News, takes the fight to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. If the government succeeds, the two could find themselves back in detention.

“The first time they came for us it was unjust. The second time they came for us is unjust. We are not giving into their fear,” Adrian Conejo Arias told CBS News through his attorney, Danielle Molliver. He also sent a message of gratitude to people around the world who have advocated on their behalf, saying, “Thank you to all those who continue to support and love us.”

A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson told CBS News that the father and son “received full due process and were issued a final order of removal on February 19.”

“The Trump administration is committed to restoring the rule of law and common sense to our immigration system, and will continue to fight for the arrest, detention, and removal of illegal aliens who have no right to be in this country,” the spokesperson continued.

The government is appealing a ruling by U.S. District Judge Fred Biery, who ordered the father and son released after finding their constitutional rights had been violated. Biery called their detention the product of a “perfidious lust for unbridled power” and said the case had its “genesis in the ill-conceived and incompetently implemented government pursuit of daily deportation quotas, apparently even if it requires traumatizing children.”

In addition to the release order, the government’s appeal extends to “all opinions, rulings, findings, conclusions, judgments, and orders on which the grant of the Petition is based.”

Conejo’s story — and the image of a 5-year-old standing outside his home wearing a blue bunny hat and a Spiderman backpack while surrounded by immigration agents — became a symbol of the harsh crackdown under Operation Metro Surge in Minneapolis. 

Liam Conejo Ramos, 5, was detained by ICE officers along with his father

Liam Conejo Ramosis detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers after arriving home from preschool on Jan. 20 in a Minneapolis suburb. 

RELATED POSTS

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon

Ali Daniels / AP


CBS News documented the impact of Conejo’s detention at his elementary school in a Minneapolis suburb, where 24 families had children or parents detained at the time. Valley View Elementary Principal Jason Kuhlman told CBS News he was worried about Conejo’s health while he remained in detention in late January. 

“His friends notice that he’s not here. Then when it hit the media, they start seeing his face on TV,” Kuhlman said. “It’s like, how do you explain that? When you start missing someone out of your classroom. How do you have that conversation with a 5-year-old?”

A spokesperson for the Columbia Heights School District confirmed to CBS News that the 5-year-old was back in the classroom and his family wanted to make sure he wasn’t singled out over the rest of the students as he re-adapted. 

Conejo’s case drew outrage after community members alleged ICE agents had used him as “bait” to have his mother open the door of their home after agents detained his father. 

Then-DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin responded to questions about the viral photo of Conejo in front of his home, saying his father “fled on foot—abandoning his child. For the child’s safety, one of our ICE officers remained with the child while the other officers apprehended Conejo Arias.” 

The DHS statement added, “Our officers made multiple attempts to get the alleged mother who was inside the house to take custody of her child. Officers even assured her she would NOT be taken … into custody. The alleged mother refused to accept custody of the child. The father told officers he wanted the child to remain with him.”

Airport surveillance video released in late March shows images of Conejo and his father being escorted by federal agents to a Delta flight from Minneapolis to Texas after their Jan. 20 detention. 

In March, an immigration judge denied the family’s asylum claim, leaving them eligible for deportation. Their attorneys are appealing that decision, but the government’s appeal to their release challenges a narrow protection provided in Biery’s order, that if they were re-detained, they must receive a bond hearing. 

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Lilia Luciano

Related Posts

8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

August 18, 2026
Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon
Politics

Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon

August 18, 2026
Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places
Politics

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places

August 18, 2026
Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight
Politics

Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight

August 18, 2026
Former DOJ lawyer alleges government improperly targeted Ivy League schools
Politics

Former DOJ lawyer alleges government improperly targeted Ivy League schools

August 18, 2026
Appeals court upholds block on immigration arrests at certain houses of worship
Politics

Appeals court upholds block on immigration arrests at certain houses of worship

August 18, 2026
Next Post
Watch Live: Trump delivering prime-time address on Iran war

Watch Live: Trump delivering prime-time address on Iran war

Trump addresses U.S. on Iran war

Trump addresses U.S. on Iran war

Recommended Stories

Trump will push for “anti-weaponization fund” if Blanche not confirmed, he says

Trump will push for “anti-weaponization fund” if Blanche not confirmed, he says

August 1, 2026
Iran targets U.S. forces in Jordan, Trump says the U.S. will hit back

Iran targets U.S. forces in Jordan, Trump says the U.S. will hit back

July 29, 2026
Senate Judiciary Committee advances Blanche’s nomination for attorney general

Senate Judiciary Committee advances Blanche’s nomination for attorney general

August 4, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    105 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?