• About
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

DOJ tells judge it incorrectly used ICE memo for immigration court arrests

by Camilo Montoya-Galvez Jacob Rosen
March 26, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
DOJ tells judge it incorrectly used ICE memo for immigration court arrests

The Justice Department this week conceded to a federal judge in New York it had been incorrectly citing an Immigration and Customs Enforcement memo to partially justify arrests at immigration courthouses, calling the oversight a “material mistaken statement of fact.”

Justice Department lawyers disclosed in a letter on Tuesday that a May 2025 ICE memo applies to most courthouses, but not federal immigration courts, where agents have been seen over the past year making arrests of those attending their hearings.

RELATED POSTS

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

The government attorneys told U.S. District Court Judge Kevin Castel that they erroneously cited the memo in monthslong litigation challenging the courthouse arrests because of a “regrettable error” by an “agency attorney,” presumably at ICE.

“We deeply regret that this error has come to light at this late stage, after the parties have expended significant resources and time to litigate this case and this Court has carefully considered Plaintiffs’ challenge to the 2025 ICE Guidance,” the Justice Department lawyers said in their letter.

The letter was submitted in a federal court case stemming from a lawsuit by advocacy groups challenging ICE’s practice of carrying out arrests inside immigration courts, which are run by the Justice Department. The arrests, part of President Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration, have elicited criticism from advocates who say they punish those attempting to comply with the immigration process by attending their hearings. 

In September, Castel largely denied a motion from the groups challenging the courthouse arrests.

While they acknowledged that Castel relied in part on the May 2025 ICE memo in his ruling last year, the Justice Department lawyers said in their letter that the error does not affect their other arguments in support of the legality of the immigration court arrests.

In a statement Thursday, the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees ICE, said, “There is no change in policy.”

“We will continue to arrest illegal aliens at immigration courts following their proceedings,” the department added. “It is common sense to take them into custody following the completion of their removal proceedings. Nothing prohibits arresting a lawbreaker where you find them.”

Castel has not yet formally responded to the Justice Department’s admission. 

The New York Civil Liberties Union, which filed the lawsuit against ICE’s courthouse arrests on behalf of the advocacy groups, said the federal government’s admission had “far-reaching” consequences.

“In the months since the Court relied on the government’s representation to deny Plaintiffs preliminary relief, Defendants have continued arresting noncitizens at their immigration court hearings, resulting in their detention—often in facilities hundreds of miles away,” the organization said in its own letter to Castel on Wednesday.

Arrests at immigration courthouses played out across the U.S. since the beginning of the Trump administration, as plainclothes federal agents carried out arrests in courthouse hallways in coordination with the Department of Homeland Security when asylum-seekers and immigrants went to the buildings for routine hearings.

Typically, a judge would grant the government’s request to dismiss deportation proceedings against an immigrant while ICE officers wait nearby in the building to take them into custody. Once they are detained, they are moved to an expedited removal process.

According to a CBS News analysis last year, Manhattan’s immigration courts saw the most arrests of any major city in America.

The immigration courts were established in 1952, and operate under the Executive Office for Immigration Review, or EOIR, which the Justice Department controls, allowing the Attorney General to override judges decisions and hire or fire judges.

As of December, about 100 immigration judges have been fired nationally since the start of the Trump administration, and almost an equal number have taken early out options, retired, or resigned in the same time period.

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Camilo Montoya-Galvez Jacob Rosen

Related Posts

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda
Politics

U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

May 18, 2026
Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns
Politics

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

May 18, 2026
Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds
Politics

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

May 18, 2026
5/17: CBS Weekend News
Politics

5/17: CBS Weekend News

May 17, 2026
Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain
Politics

Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain

May 17, 2026
Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll
Politics

Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll

May 17, 2026
Next Post
Minnesota elections office subpoenaed in probe over state voter rolls, sources say

Minnesota elections office subpoenaed in probe over state voter rolls, sources say

DOJ close to finalizing deal to hand over voter roll data to DHS, sources say

DOJ close to finalizing deal to hand over voter roll data to DHS, sources say

Recommended Stories

Watch Live: Hegseth questioned amid $1.5 trillion budget request

Watch Live: Hegseth questioned amid $1.5 trillion budget request

May 12, 2026
Why are so many U.S. CEOs in China with Trump, and what do they want?

Why are so many U.S. CEOs in China with Trump, and what do they want?

May 14, 2026
CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach

CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach

May 17, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Quiet and the New Era of Anonymous Car Culture Online

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?