• About
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

DNC and top Democratic leaders sue Trump over mail-in voting executive order

by Jacob Rosen
April 1, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
DNC and top Democratic leaders sue Trump over mail-in voting executive order

A coalition of major Democratic groups sued the Trump administration on Wednesday, seeking to strike down an executive order that would exert more federal influence over mail-in voting — including by creating lists of U.S. citizens who are eligible to vote in each state.

The suit — filed in D.C. federal court by the Democratic National Committee, Democratic Governors Association and two major Democratic campaign groups — is the first major legal challenge to the executive order, which President Trump signed on Tuesday. The top two Democrats in Congress, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, are also listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. 

Mr. Trump’s order requires Secretary of Homeland Security Markwayne Mullin to put together a list of U.S. citizens who are eligible to vote in every state, using data from the Social Security Administration. It also directs the U.S. Postal Service to only send absentee ballots to people on each state’s federally approved mail-in ballot list. 

States that don’t go along with the executive order are at risk of losing federal funding, a White House official told CBS News earlier this week. It’s not clear what would happen if an eligible U.S. citizen is left off the list.

The plaintiffs in Wednesday’s lawsuit argued the order unconstitutionally intrudes on Congress and the states’ power to regulate elections, since the Constitution doesn’t give the president any direct authority over how federal elections are conducted. Their suit cast the order as part of a gambit by Mr. Trump to “rewrite election rules for his own perceived partisan advantage.”

“Our Constitution’s Framers anticipated this kind of desire for absolute power. They recognized the menace it would pose to ordered liberty and the ways in which it would corrode self-government like an acid,” the Democratic groups wrote in a 64-page complaint. “That careful division of authority has held fast against President Trump’s attacks.”

The suit called the executive order “convoluted and confusing,” and said it “dramatically restricts the ability of Americans to vote by mail, impinging on traditional state authority.” It also alleged the order “runs headlong into myriad other guarantees provided by the Constitution, the States, and Congress — authorities that do regulate elections.”

The groups are being represented by attorney Marc Elias, and are asking for the executive order to be struck down on First, Fifth and Tenth Amendment grounds. The complaint also alleges a violation of the separation of powers, plus violations of the Administrative Procedure Act, the Voting Rights Act and other federal laws.

CBS News has reached out to the White House for comment on the lawsuit.

The executive order comes as Mr. Trump has publicly pressed Congress to pass restrictions on mail-in voting, which he has alleged — without evidence — is rife with fraud. He has called on lawmakers to pass the SAVE Act, which would include proof-of-citizenship requirements aimed at preventing non-citizens from registering to vote, something that is already extremely rare.

Last year, Mr. Trump signed an executive order that sought to impose proof-of-citizenship requirements on federal mail voter registration forms. It also would have allowed the federal government to withhold congressionally directed federal funds for elections from states that did not enter into election-related information-sharing agreements. 

That order was struck down in multiple courts. One judge who ruled on it, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, wrote in her opinion that the president does not have authority to direct changes to the federal election procedures.

“The first question presented in these consolidated cases is whether the President, acting unilaterally, may direct changes to federal election procedures,” Kollar-Kotelly wrote. “Because our Constitution assigns responsibility for election regulation to the States and to Congress, this Court holds that the President lacks the authority to direct such changes.” 

Kathryn Watson and

RELATED POSTS

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

Aaron Navarro

contributed to this report.


Share6Tweet4Share1

Jacob Rosen

Related Posts

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns
Politics

Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over leak of his tax returns

May 18, 2026
Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds
Politics

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

May 18, 2026
5/17: CBS Weekend News
Politics

5/17: CBS Weekend News

May 17, 2026
Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain
Politics

Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain

May 17, 2026
Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll
Politics

Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll

May 17, 2026
CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach
Politics

CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach

May 17, 2026
Next Post
Oil prices rise after Trump insists the Iran war is going to plan

Oil prices rise after Trump insists the Iran war is going to plan

Senate takes first step toward ending DHS shutdown after House GOP reverses course

Senate takes first step toward ending DHS shutdown after House GOP reverses course

Recommended Stories

LA mayoral candidate Spencer Pratt says he can “change the political landscape”

LA mayoral candidate Spencer Pratt says he can “change the political landscape”

May 8, 2026
4/22: The Takeout with Major Garrett

4/22: The Takeout with Major Garrett

April 22, 2026
Kevin Warsh set to face lawmakers in Fed chair confirmation hearing

Kevin Warsh set to face lawmakers in Fed chair confirmation hearing

April 20, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Quiet and the New Era of Anonymous Car Culture Online

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?