• About
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

DOJ asks to dismiss Steve Bannon’s criminal charges

by Joe Walsh
February 9, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
DOJ asks to dismiss Steve Bannon’s criminal charges

The Justice Department is seeking to toss out its criminal case against former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, who was jailed for declining to testify before the House Jan. 6 committee.

U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro wrote Monday that the “government has determined in its prosecutorial discretion that dismissal of this criminal case is in the interests of justice.” She asked a judge to dismiss the indictment against Bannon with prejudice, meaning it cannot be refiled. Pirro added that Bannon did not oppose the move.

RELATED POSTS

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building

Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say

Bannon, a media personality and former White House chief strategist, was convicted of contempt of Congress after he declined to comply with a subpoena from the House Jan. 6 panel for testimony and documents. He spent about four months in prison in 2024.

Lawmakers on the committee had subpoenaed Bannon as part of a sweeping investigation into the events leading up to the Jan. 6 riot, including the alleged push by President Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the election. Bannon was not formally a part of Mr. Trump’s team at the time, but he was a vocal supporter of the president’s efforts. In its subpoena, the committee pointed to Bannon’s remarks on Jan. 5, 2021, that “all hell is going to break loose tomorrow.”

Bannon did not comply with the subpoena, telling the committee the information that lawmakers wanted was subject to executive privilege, a legal doctrine that allows presidents to withhold certain information. The House — which had a Democratic majority at the time — voted to recommend charging Bannon with contempt of Congress in 2021, and the Justice Department brought charges against him soon after that.

Days before his mid-2022 jury trial, Bannon’s attorneys changed course and said he would be willing to testify, writing that “circumstances have now changed” and Mr. Trump had chosen to waive executive privilege. Bannon was still found guilty by a D.C.-based jury and sentenced to jail time.

Despite finishing his prison sentence in October 2024, Bannon is still challenging his conviction, asking the Supreme Court to take up his case last year. Bannon has argued that he didn’t willfully defy the subpoena, and instead was following his lawyers’ advice to hold off on complying until executive privilege issues could be worked out. He has also cast his contempt case as politically motivated.

On Monday, the Justice Department asked the Supreme Court to vacate an appellate ruling that upheld Bannon’s conviction and send the matter back to the district court.

Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said the request to the high court was part of an effort to “undo the prior administration’s weaponization of the justice system.”

“Today the Department of Justice told the Supreme Court that Steve Bannon’s conviction arising from the J6 ‘Unselect’ Committee’s improper subpoena should be vacated,” Blanche wrote on X.

The Justice Department’s efforts to toss out Bannon’s case come amid another high-profile debate over contempt of Congress.

Lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee voted to recommend holding Bill and Hillary Clinton in contempt last month after the former president and secretary of state refused to testify in an investigation into Jeffrey Epstein. Shortly before the full House was set to take up the issue, the Clintons said they were willing to appear for depositions. The oversight panel’s chair, Republican Rep. James Comer of Kentucky, said the pair had “caved.”

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Joe Walsh

Related Posts

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building
Politics

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building

August 20, 2026
Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say
Politics

Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say

August 20, 2026
Judge temporarily blocks officials from deporting witness of deadly ICE shooting
Politics

ICE, Iran quietly worked together on deporting Iranians to Iran, emails show

August 20, 2026
Army to nix drone battalion set up to absorb lessons from Ukraine war
Politics

Army to nix drone battalion set up to absorb lessons from Ukraine war

August 20, 2026
Aisha Wahab wins special election to serve out remainder of Eric Swalwell’s term
Politics

Aisha Wahab wins special election to serve out remainder of Eric Swalwell’s term

August 20, 2026
Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida’s 9th District
Politics

Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida’s 9th District

August 20, 2026
Next Post
Gonzales defends conditions at Texas detention center with measles outbreak

Gonzales defends conditions at Texas detention center with measles outbreak

Judge blocks California law banning federal law enforcement agents from wearing masks

Judge blocks California law banning federal law enforcement agents from wearing masks

Recommended Stories

8/3: The Takeout with Major Garrett

8/3: The Takeout with Major Garrett

August 3, 2026
8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett

8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett

August 10, 2026
7/25: CBS Weekend News

7/25: CBS Weekend News

July 25, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    107 shares
    Share 43 Tweet 27
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?