• About
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

CIA Director Ratcliffe “strongly supports” Gabbard declassification, agency says

by Olivia Gazis
July 24, 2025
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
CIA says intel shows Iran’s nuclear program “severely damaged” by Trump strikes

CIA Director John Ratcliffe “strongly supports the public release” this week of highly sensitive documents by Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, according to a CIA spokesperson, who said Ratcliffe “initiated” the declassification process after he took the helm at the agency this year.

Gabbard’s office publicly released a report drafted in 2017 by Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee on Russian activity during the 2016 election, sparking concerns about risks to sensitive sources and methods. She said Wednesday that the document contained additional evidence that Obama administration officials “manufactured” a narrative about Russia’s actions that was designed to undercut President Trump. 

Gabbard also declassified a swath of documents related to the 2016 election last Friday.

“CIA Director Ratcliffe strongly supports the public release of HPSCI’s report, which was the result of a process initiated by CIA and led by DNI Gabbard,” the CIA spokesperson said, using an abbreviation for the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. 

“This effort reflects Director Ratcliffe’s continued commitment to elevating the truth and bringing transparency to the American people and would not have been possible without his directive to return it to the committee,” the spokesperson added.

The House report, which the committee’s Republican staff finalized in December 2017 but updated through 2020, was so highly classified that it was stored at CIA headquarters before Ratcliffe sent it back to the House panel and ultimately toward public release, CBS News has learned.

The committee made it available to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, or ODNI, according to an ODNI official with knowledge of the declassification process. Gabbard would normally have been required to consult with the intelligence agencies that had contributed sensitive information to the report before declassifying it, but Mr. Trump — who made the decision to declassify the document with relatively few redactions — was not under the same obligations, the official said.

The report was written in large part by then-committee staffer Kash Patel, now the FBI director, according to one current and one former official. It contained discussions about raw intelligence from a CIA source the agency had recruited in Russia, and questioned whether analysts had sufficiently taken into account the source’s motivations, proximity to Putin or potential bias towards Mr. Trump.

The CIA source’s information helped inform the January 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment, or ICA, which concluded in part that Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian government aspired to help then-candidate Donald Trump’s election chances by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him. The U.S. exfiltrated a CIA asset from Russia in 2017, CBS News previously confirmed.

That judgment within the ICA has vexed Mr. Trump for years and has been a key focus of Gabbard’s recent declassifications.

Gabbard has claimed the documents released by her office reveal a “treasonous conspiracy” by Obama-era officials to undermine Mr. Trump during his first term by alleging Russian efforts to help him win in 2016. Gabbard says she has forwarded the records to the Justice Department as part of a criminal referral. 

Obama’s spokesperson Patrick Rodenbush called Gabbard’s accusations “bizarre” and “ridiculous” earlier this week.

The ICA’s judgement about Russian actions in 2016 was also the focus of a recent CIA internal review under Ratcliffe. Released earlier this month, that review contained far fewer of the sensitive details included in the House Republicans’ report and said the judgment on Putin’s preference for Trump should have been issued with moderate rather than high confidence. But it said it did not dispute the “quality and credibility” of the information.

The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Sen. Mark Warner, called the release of the House committee’s report by Gabbard “desperate and irresponsible.” He said it put highly sensitive sources at risk and could disincentivize potential spies from working for the U.S. government.

“Tell me how you’re going to recruit somebody to, in one of our adversarial nations, maybe work with us, if that information is carelessly thrown around,” Warner said to reporters on Wednesday.

Ratcliffe, who previously served on the House Intelligence Committee as a congressman from Texas, has said one of his primary objectives as CIA director would be to reinvigorate intelligence collection from human sources. Current and former national security officials have said intelligence provided by human sources, known as HUMINT, has dropped off in recent years, as surveillance technologies have become more sophisticated and ubiquitous.

Human sources — especially those with proximity to world leaders in adversarial countries like Russia, China and North Korea — are especially prized and especially rare, given how risky, if not life-threatening, it can be for them to provide information to a foreign intelligence agency. Information provided by human sources typically remains classified for decades, often up to 75 years, according to government classification rules.

At his Senate confirmation hearing in January, Ratcliffe said the recruitment of human spies by the CIA is “not where it needs to be.”

“I do want to spend time looking at that,” he said.

The CIA has recently released recruitment videos in multiple languages with the aim of enticing potential human sources in Iran, China and Russia to come forward.

Alan He and

James LaPorta

RELATED POSTS

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown

Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Share6Tweet4Share1

Olivia Gazis

Related Posts

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown
Politics

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown

August 30, 2025
Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy
Politics

Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

August 30, 2025
Mark Knoller, longtime CBS News correspondent, dies at 73
Politics

Mark Knoller, longtime CBS News correspondent, dies at 73

August 30, 2025
Trump administration to cut 500-plus jobs at Voice of America
Politics

Trump administration to cut 500-plus jobs at Voice of America

August 30, 2025
Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility
Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

August 29, 2025
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint
Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

August 29, 2025
Next Post
Three former DOJ officials sue to challenge their Trump-era firings

Three former DOJ officials sue to challenge their Trump-era firings

U.S. Department of Justice sues NYC over sanctuary city laws

U.S. Department of Justice sues NYC over sanctuary city laws

Recommended Stories

West Virginia to deploy hundreds of National Guard troops to D.C.

West Virginia to deploy hundreds of National Guard troops to D.C.

August 16, 2025
New York court throws out $527 million penalty in Trump civil fraud case

New York court throws out $527 million penalty in Trump civil fraud case

August 21, 2025
Gabbard barred sharing intel on Russia-Ukraine talks with “Five Eyes” partners

Gabbard barred sharing intel on Russia-Ukraine talks with “Five Eyes” partners

August 22, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • From Bedroom Dreams to Breakout Success: How Soluh Became One of Roblox’s Fastest-Growing Creators

    18 shares
    Share 7 Tweet 5
  • Senator blasts Border Patrol arrest of 2 firefighters battling wildfire

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?