• About
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Trump admin. releases 2,000 California National Guard members from L.A. duty

by Joe Walsh
July 15, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Trump admin. releases 2,000 California National Guard members from L.A. duty

RELATED POSTS

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

The Trump administration is releasing thousands of California National Guard troops from a federal mission in Los Angeles, the Pentagon said Tuesday, over a month after President Trump deployed the troops — over Gov. Gavin Newsom’s objections — to respond to protests in the nation’s second largest city.

“Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement.

Around 2,000 Guard troops will be released, Parnell said, or half of the roughly 4,000 who were brought under federal control. About 700 active-duty Marines were also sent to the Los Angeles area last month, part of an effort to protect federal immigration agents.

Separately, around 150 Guard members were returned to the state of California earlier this month to help fight wildfires.

In response to Tuesday’s decision, Newsom called on the Trump administration to also return the remaining Guard forces.

“For more than a month, the National Guard has been pulled away from their families, communities and civilian work to serve as political pawns for the President in Los Angeles. While nearly 2,000 of them are starting to demobilize, the remaining guardsmembers continue without a mission, without direction and without any hopes of returning to help their communities,” Newsom said in a statement.

The Trump administration argued the deployment was needed to deal with chaotic protests against Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrests. But Newsom and other local politicians called the deployment unnecessary and warned it could escalate tensions. 

The federal government also accused local law enforcement of not doing enough to protect ICE, which local officials denied.

Mr. Trump took the forces under federal control in early June, following protests against ICE action in Los Angeles. The president said the 60-day mission was intended to quell “violence and disorder” and help protect ICE agents and federal property. He invoked a law known as Title 10, which says the president can call Guard troops into federal service to deal with a “rebellion” or if “the president is unable with the regular forces to execute the laws of the United States.”

Newsom sued the Trump administration, calling the deployment an “unprecedented power grab” and arguing it was illegal for Mr. Trump to federalize the Guard without his permission. A federal judge initially sided with Newsom, but an appellate court ultimately allowed Mr. Trump to keep the troops in Los Angeles while the legal battle played out, saying the president likely acted within his authority.

During a visit to Los Angeles late last month, Vice President JD Vance called the Guard forces and Marines “very much a necessary part of what’s going on here,” though he noted the situation in the city had “gotten a lot better.” 

The vice president also suggested Mr. Trump is willing to send Guard forces to other locales in the U.S. — but the administration would try not to do so.

“If you enforce your own laws and if you protect federal law enforcement, we’re not going to send in the National Guard because it’s unnecessary,” the vice president said.

More from CBS News

Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh is a senior editor for digital politics at CBS News. Joe previously covered breaking news for Forbes and local news in Boston.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Joe Walsh

Related Posts

Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility
Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

August 29, 2025
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint
Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

August 29, 2025
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”
Politics

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

August 29, 2025
Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime
Politics

Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime

August 29, 2025
Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine
Politics

Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

August 29, 2025
Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting
Politics

Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting

August 29, 2025
Next Post
Inflation ticked up in June, here’s where prices rose most

Inflation ticked up in June, here's where prices rose most

Why the Genius Act could be a big boost for cryptocurrencies

Why the Genius Act could be a big boost for cryptocurrencies

Recommended Stories

Watch Live: Trump visits Kennedy Center and announces honorees

Watch Live: Trump visits Kennedy Center and announces honorees

August 13, 2025
Florida could be next big target for GOP redistricting before 2026 elections

Florida could be next big target for GOP redistricting before 2026 elections

August 26, 2025
Why utility bills are rapidly rising in some states

Why utility bills are rapidly rising in some states

August 23, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump revokes Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump moves to rescind $4.9 billion in foreign aid without Congress

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?