• About
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

by Aaron Navarro
August 29, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

RELATED POSTS

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

Charles Borges, the chief data officer at the Social Security Administration, resigned Friday — days after filing a whistleblower complaint about Department of Government Efficiency employees at the SSA. 

He said in the complaint that the DOGE employees had uploaded a copy of the entire country’s Social Security information to a “vulnerable cloud environment.” Borges’ resignation from the SSA was confirmed by the Government Accountability Project, which is providing his legal representation.

A Social Security Administration spokesperson refuted the claim in a statement, saying that the data referenced had been “walled off” from the internet, and the SSA is “not aware of any compromise to this environment.”

“The data referenced in the complaint is stored in a long-standing environment used by SSA and walled off from the internet,” the spokesperson said.

In June, the Supreme Court temporarily lifted a lower court’s injunction and cleared the way to allow DOGE to access sensitive Social Security information. Two labor unions and an advocacy group had filed a complaint claiming that allowing the access would violate the Privacy Act and a federal law. A lower court agreed with the plaintiffs and issued an injunction, and an appellate court also declined to lift the stay. Solicitor General D. John Sauer then appealed to the Supreme Court, arguing that the injunction was forcing the executive branch to stop federal employees tasked with modernizing government systems from accessing the data contained within them.

In Borges’ resignation letter, sent Friday to SSA Commissioner Frank Bisignano, he wrote that he was resigning involuntarily because of “SSA’s actions against me, which make my duties impossible to perform legally and ethically.” He said his departure constituted a “constructive discharge.” 

Borges said in his letter that he has faced retaliation since he reported his concerns internally and subsequently submitted his whistleblower complaint. “I have suffered exclusion, isolation, internal strife, and a culture of fear, creating a hostile work environment and making work conditions intolerable,” he wrote. 

He alleged that “newly installed leadership” in the IT and executive offices at SSA “created a culture of panic and dread, with minimal information sharing, frequent discussions on employee termination.” And Borges claimed that repeated requests for visibility into activities he found questionable were “rebuffed or ignored by agency leadership.”

Andrea Meza, a GAP attorney representing Borges, said in a statement that Borges “no longer felt that he could continue to work for the Social Security Administration in good conscience given what he had witnessed.” Meza said Borges “will continue to work with the proper oversight bodies.”

Borges had served as SSA’s chief data officer since January. Before that, he worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and was a White House Presidential Innovation fellow during the Biden administration, according to LinkedIn. He had also served in data handling roles in the Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division and the Naval Air Systems Command. 

On LinkedIn Friday, he wrote, “It is never wrong to be morally and ethically right with yourself.”

Asked about Borges, an SSA spokesperson declined to comment on personnel matters.

Aaron Navarro

Aaron Navarro is a CBS News digital reporter covering the 2024 elections. He was previously an associate producer for the CBS News political unit in the 2021 and 2022 election cycles.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Aaron Navarro

Related Posts

Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility
Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

August 29, 2025
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”
Politics

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

August 29, 2025
Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them
Politics

Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them

August 29, 2025
Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House
Politics

Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

August 29, 2025
Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office
Politics

Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

August 29, 2025
Judge grapples with Trump’s attempt to remove Lisa Cook as Fed governor
Politics

Judge grapples with Trump’s attempt to remove Lisa Cook as Fed governor

August 29, 2025
Next Post
Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

Recommended Stories

Putin agreed to allow NATO-style protection for Ukraine, Trump envoy says

Putin agreed to allow NATO-style protection for Ukraine, Trump envoy says

August 17, 2025
House Oversight Committee subpoenas Jeffrey Epstein’s estate

House Oversight Committee subpoenas Jeffrey Epstein’s estate

August 25, 2025
FEMA suspends employees who signed letter blasting Trump-era changes, sources say

FEMA suspends employees who signed letter blasting Trump-era changes, sources say

August 26, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?