• About
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Senate confirms former Trump attorney Emil Bove as U.S. appeals court judge

by Melissa Quinn
July 29, 2025
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Judicial nominee Bove denies allegation he told lawyers to ignore court orders

RELATED POSTS

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

Washington — The Senate on Tuesday approved the nomination of Emil Bove, President Trump’s former defense lawyer, to serve on a U.S. appeals court, confirming the controversial nominee to a lifetime appointment on the federal bench.

The upper chamber voted 50-49 to green-light Bove’s nomination to the Philadelphia-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, which oversees cases from Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

“He has a strong legal background and has served his country honorably. I believe he will be diligent, capable and a fair jurist,” Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said of Bove on the Senate floor ahead of the vote.

Bove emerged as Mr. Trump’s most controversial judicial pick so far, and former judges, prosecutors and other Justice Department employees had urged senators to reject his nomination. A Justice Department whistleblower alleged that Bove had suggested government lawyers should ignore court orders, prompting Democrats to unsuccessfully push for the Senate Judiciary Committee to delay a vote on his nomination. When the panel voted earlier this month to advance his nomination, all of the panel’s Democrats walked out of the meeting in protest.

Two more whistleblowers have since turned over information about Bove to either the Justice Department’s internal watchdog or lawmakers, according to the organization Whistleblower Aid, which represents one of the people, and the Washington Post, which reported on evidence given to Sen. Cory Booker, a New Jersey Democrat who sits on the Judiciary Committee.

Booker and Sen. Adam Schiff, a California Democrat, asked the Justice Department’s acting inspector general on Monday whether he has launched any investigations related to Bove and said the allegations of misconduct are “troubling.”

Bove was one of the lawyers who represented the president in his criminal cases and he joined the Justice Department as principal associate deputy attorney general when Mr. Trump returned to the White House for a second term. Bove also served briefly as acting deputy attorney general in the opening weeks of the second Trump administration until the Senate confirmed Todd Blanche, also a former defense lawyer for the president, to the No. 2 spot.

But former Justice Department prosecutors accused Bove of executing mass firings at the department of employees who were “perceived not to show sufficient loyalty” to Mr. Trump, including officials who worked on former special counsel Jack Smith’s investigations into the president, which yielded two prosecutions that have since been dropped.

Bove was also at the center of a controversy involving the Justice Department’s decision to drop its prosecution of New York City Mayor Eric Adams in exchange for cooperation with immigration enforcement. Several prosecutors who worked on Adams’ case resigned after Bove directed them to dismiss the charges against the mayor and said the move appeared to be a quid pro quo.

But Bove brushed away the accusations, telling senators in a questionnaire to the Judiciary Committee that the decision to drop the five-count indictment against Adams was within the scope of prosecutorial discretion. He also said Adams’ own submissions to the court refute the allegations of an “improper quid pro quo.”

Bove also faced allegations of unethical conduct from a fired Justice Department lawyer, who filed a whistleblower report with lawmakers last month. The attorney, Erez Reuveni, claimed Bove suggested that the administration should ignore court orders regarding the administration’s efforts to remove migrants under the wartime Alien Enemies Act.

Reuveni alleged that during a March meeting with senior department officials about removal flights, Bove suggested that the department would need to consider telling the courts to “f**k you” if a judge blocked deportations under the 1798 law. 

Emails and text messages that Reuveni provided to senators include exchanges with a Justice Department colleague in which they appear to be referring to Bove’s alleged directive regarding judicial orders.

A second Justice Department whistleblower submitted documents to the department’s internal watchdog that supports Reuveni’s claims, according to the organization Whistleblower Aid, which is representing the lawyer. 

Reuveni worked at the Justice Department for nearly 15 years and had been promoted to acting deputy director of its Office of Immigration Litigation in March. But he was fired in April after telling a federal judge that Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran man who was deported to his home country in March, should not have been removed. An immigration official with the Trump administration had acknowledged in a March court filing that Abrego Garcia’s removal was an “administrative error” and an “oversight.”

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee attempted to push the panel to delay the vote to advance Bove’s nomination and allow Reuveni to testify, but Grassley rejected the move.

The White House and Justice Department have defended Bove and claimed that Reuveni was a “disgruntled former employee.” Grassley lambasted Democrats for their handling of Bove’s nomination and said they have tried to obstruct nearly all of Mr. Trump’s nominees.

“The vicious rhetoric, unfair accusations and abuse directed at Mr. Bove by some on this committee, it has crossed the line,” he said.

Blanche wrote in an op-ed for Fox News that Bove is “the most capable and principled lawyer I have ever known,” and said his “legal acumen is extraordinary and his moral clarity is above reproach.”

Melissa Quinn

Melissa Quinn is a politics reporter for CBSNews.com. She has written for outlets including the Washington Examiner, Daily Signal and Alexandria Times. Melissa covers U.S. politics, with a focus on the Supreme Court and federal courts.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Melissa Quinn

Related Posts

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors
Politics

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

February 19, 2026
Man sprays Rep. Ilhan Omar with unknown substance at town hall
Politics

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

February 19, 2026
Key legislators seek DOJ records on Alex Pretti and Renee Good killings by next week
Politics

Judge holds DOJ lawyer in contempt as tensions flare over immigration cases

February 19, 2026
Trump administration orders review of refugees who entered under Biden, memo shows
Politics

Trump administration gives ICE broader powers to detain legal refugees

February 18, 2026
Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups
Politics

Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups

February 18, 2026
Trump has mulled timeline for Iran strikes, but no decision yet
Politics

Trump has mulled timeline for Iran strikes, but no decision yet

February 18, 2026
Next Post
RFK Jr.’s rhetoric appears to put blame on patients for health issues

RFK Jr.'s rhetoric appears to put blame on patients for health issues

Trump announces 25% tariff on India

Trump announces 25% tariff on India

Recommended Stories

Some Team USA athletes speak out about politics at home

Some Team USA athletes speak out about politics at home

February 7, 2026
Democrat wins Louisiana state House special seat in district Trump won

Democrat wins Louisiana state House special seat in district Trump won

February 8, 2026
Jet donated by Qatar could start serving as Trump’s new Air Force One this summer

Jet donated by Qatar could start serving as Trump’s new Air Force One this summer

January 22, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?