• About
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Mark Knoller, longtime CBS News correspondent, dies at 73

by Chip Reid
August 30, 2025
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Mark Knoller, longtime CBS News correspondent, dies at 73

RELATED POSTS

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown

Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

Longtime CBS News correspondent Mark Knoller has died at the age of 73.

He died in Washington, D.C., according to a close friend. The cause of death was not disclosed, but he suffered from diabetes and had been in ill health.

Knoller was, to put it simply, a legend. For decades, everyone in the White House press corps knew him as the unofficial presidential historian and statistician. 

His frustration over the lack of a central database of daily presidential actions inspired him to take upon himself the enormous burden of keeping meticulous records of every presidential act, movement, and utterance, single-handedly filling an immense void in American history.

As he once put it: “I keep a daily log of everything the president does. I keep a list of speeches. I keep a list of travel – foreign travel, domestic travel. A list of outings. A list of golf. A list of pardons, vetoes, states that he’s visited, states that he hasn’t visited. Every time he goes on vacation, every visit to Camp David.”

CBS Mark Knoller

Mark Knoller of CBS News, center, waits for the start of the daily press briefing by White House press secretary Jay Carney at the White House in Washington,  D.C., on Sept. 7, 2011.

Charles Dharapak / AP


“Mark Knoller was the hardest-working and most prolific White House correspondent of a generation,” Tom Cibrowski, president and executive editor of CBS News, said. “Everyone in America knew his distinctive voice and his up-to-the-minute reporting across eight Presidential administrations.”

As a CBS Radio correspondent, Knoller worked extremely long hours, even without this self-imposed hardship. To keep his encyclopedic records up to date, he worked late into the evening nearly every day, departing the White House long after most of his colleagues had gone home.

And what did Knoller do with this hard-earned gold mine of statistics and numbers? In the extremely competitive world of journalism, you might think he would hoard it for his own use. But no. This remarkably generous man shared it with anyone who asked – reporters on deadline, historians, even White House aides filling gaps in their own administration’s records. He believed the public had a right to know.

Born Feb. 20, 1952, in Brooklyn, New York, he knew from a young age that he wanted to be a reporter. After graduating from New York University, he started his career as an intern and copy boy at WNEW Radio in New York, working his way up to weekend reporter. In 1975, he became a reporter at the Associated Press Radio Network, where he remained for 13 years.

In 1988, Knoller’s career took an unexpected turn. While covering a trip to Helsinki and Moscow with then-Secretary of State George Schultz, he and CBS News producer Susan Zirinsky chatted about his career. She told him the CBS News Washington Bureau was looking for a new assignment editor. 

“Why not take the plunge?” she asked him. So he did.

But after a few years, “alas, he was miserable,” Zirinsky recalls. He didn’t enjoy sending other people out to cover the news. He wanted to cover the news. So CBS News offered Knoller the position of White House correspondent for CBS Radio – his dream job, and a position in which he went on to win numerous prestigious journalism awards.

In his role, Knoller covered the last year of President George H.W. Bush’s term, both terms of Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and the first term of President Trump. He left CBS in 2020.

Over the last decade of Knoller’s time at CBS News, his career took another surprising turn. His voice had begun to fail, making it impossible for him to be a full-time radio correspondent. So Knoller reinvented himself. Twitter was in its early years and was quickly becoming a sensation, so Knoller jumped on the Twitter (now X) train. He began posting numerous times daily, sharing White House news, his famous facts and figures, and his entertaining witticisms with an audience that grew to 300,000 followers.

Former CBS News White House correspondents who worked closely with Knoller also offered their heartfelt admiration:

“Mark Knoller was simply the best, a legendary White House journalist who was a delight to be around,” said CBS News senior correspondent Norah O’Donnell. “His work was his life. He was kind, funny and always gracious in sharing his encyclopedic knowledge of the presidency. His CBS family adored him, and we will miss our friend.”

“Mark Knoller defined what it means to chronicle and cover the White House,” said chief White House correspondent Major Garrett. “Mark added value where others never could – myself included. Mark was the most devoted, tenacious and clear-eyed journalist I have ever had the honor of knowing. For as long as I live, I will count among my life’s greatest blessings that I was able to work alongside him.”

“As impressive as Mark Knoller’s sweep of knowledge about the White House and the presidency was – it was surpassed only by his generosity toward his many friends and colleagues…And he always answered with kindness, class, and a sincere desire to help,” said Jim Axelrod, chief correspondent and executive editor for CBS News’ “Eye on America” franchise. 

Mark wasn’t just a respected colleague, he was a dear friend. He helped me enormously with his knowledge of the White House, but the Mark I will always remember is the kind, witty, funny, friend with whom I spent many hours debating about one of his favorite topics: which James Bond movies, and actors, were the best and the worst.

More from CBS News

Chip Reid

Chip Reid is a former CBS News national correspondent.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Chip Reid

Related Posts

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown
Politics

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown

August 30, 2025
Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy
Politics

Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

August 30, 2025
Trump administration to cut 500-plus jobs at Voice of America
Politics

Trump administration to cut 500-plus jobs at Voice of America

August 30, 2025
Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility
Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

August 29, 2025
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint
Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

August 29, 2025
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”
Politics

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

August 29, 2025
Next Post
Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

Trump expresses some doubt over one-on-one meeting between Putin, Zelenskyy

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump’s immigration crackdown

Chicago mayor pushes back on Trump's immigration crackdown

Recommended Stories

Gov. Abbott says Republicans may seek to add even more GOP congressional seats

Gov. Abbott says Republicans may seek to add even more GOP congressional seats

August 11, 2025
As Trump prepares to meet Putin, questions loom over Ukraine strategy

As Trump prepares to meet Putin, questions loom over Ukraine strategy

August 13, 2025
Trump administration moving detainees out of “Alligator Alcatraz”

Trump administration moving detainees out of “Alligator Alcatraz”

August 27, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • From Bedroom Dreams to Breakout Success: How Soluh Became One of Roblox’s Fastest-Growing Creators

    18 shares
    Share 7 Tweet 5
  • Senator blasts Border Patrol arrest of 2 firefighters battling wildfire

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?