• About
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

by Ed OKeefe Joe Walsh
August 29, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

RELATED POSTS

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker told CBS News the Trump administration has not communicated with his state on a reported plan to send military forces to Chicago, calling the idea an “invasion” and arguing President Trump has “other aims” aside from cracking down on crime.

Asked about a possible military deployment to America’s third-largest city, which was recently reported by The Washington Post, Pritzker told CBS News: “It’s clear that, in secret, they’re planning this — well, it’s an invasion with U.S. troops, if they, in fact, do that.”

Mr. Trump has deployed National Guard forces and federal agents to the streets of two other major cities — Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. — in recent months, part of what the president casts as a crackdown against illegal immigration, violent crime and civil unrest.

Last week, the president said his administration could take similar steps in Chicago. Mr. Trump called the city a “mess” and lashed out against Mayor Brandon Johnson, saying, “We’ll straighten that one out probably next.”

Mr. Trump is planning major immigration enforcement operations in Chicago that could start as soon as next week, echoing a similar operation in Los Angeles, sources told CBS News. And The Washington Post has reported that the Pentagon is drawing up plans to potentially send thousands of National Guard members to the Midwest’s largest metro area as early as September — though those plans haven’t been publicly confirmed.

Pritzker told CBS News that, if Mr. Trump sends the Guard to Chicago, voters “should understand that he has other aims, other than fighting crime.”

The governor argued that the president’s gambit may be part of a plan to “stop the elections in 2026 or, frankly, take control of those elections.”

He also called the idea “an attack on the American people.”

“Now, he may disagree with a state that didn’t vote for him. But, should he be sending troops in? No,” Pritzker said in an interview with CBS News in Chicago.

White House spokeswoman Abigail Jackson rejected Pritzker’s accusations and blasted the city’s violent crime rate.

“It’s amazing the lengths this slob will go to in order to deflect from the terrible crime crisis that has been plaguing Chicago for years,” Jackson said in a statement to CBS News. “Chicago’s residents would be much safer if Pritzker actually did his job and addressed his crime problem instead of trying to be a Resistance Lib hero.”

The Guard deployments in Los Angeles and D.C. have drawn stiff pushback from elected officials who argue local police are better able to handle crime, and warn the presence of federal agents and military personnel could inflame tensions.

Future military deployments could also draw legal challenges. While Mr. Trump controls the D.C. National Guard outright, the governors of the 50 states typically control their own Guard forces except in certain circumstances. 

The Trump administration deployed thousands of California National Guard members to Los Angeles over Gov. Gavin Newsom’s objections in June, arguing they were necessary to protect federal immigration agents and facilities from tense protests in the city.

The state of California sued the administration, calling the deployment illegal. An appeals court found that Mr. Trump likely did have the legal authority to call up the state’s National Guard, under a law that lets the president call Guard forces into federal service during a “rebellion” or if he isn’t able to “execute the laws of the United States.” A lower court is still reviewing whether military forces in Los Angeles were inappropriately used for law enforcement purposes.

Watch more of Ed O’Keefe’s interview with Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker on Sunday on CBS News’ “Face the Nation.”

More from CBS News

Ed O’Keefe

Ed O’Keefe is CBS News’ senior White House and political correspondent reporting for all CBS News platforms. He’s part of the team covering President Trump and covered all four years of Joe Biden’s presidency. From the White House to the campaign trail, O’Keefe’s reports stretch from the politics of the moment to how policy enacted in Washington affects the nation and the world.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Ed OKeefe Joe Walsh

Related Posts

Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility
Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

August 29, 2025
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint
Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

August 29, 2025
Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime
Politics

Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime

August 29, 2025
Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine
Politics

Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

August 29, 2025
Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting
Politics

Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting

August 29, 2025
Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them
Politics

Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them

August 29, 2025
Next Post
SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

Recommended Stories

Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

August 29, 2025
U.S. soldier charged with trying to trade Army tank info for Russian citizenship

U.S. soldier charged with trying to trade Army tank info for Russian citizenship

August 6, 2025
Concerns over L.A. economy as labor force shrinks due to immigration raids

Concerns over L.A. economy as labor force shrinks due to immigration raids

August 9, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?