• About
  • Contact
Sunday, February 22, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

House committee to hold hearing on Minnesota fraud

by Kaia Hubbard Joe Walsh
January 7, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
House committee to hold hearing on Minnesota fraud

Washington — The House Oversight Committee is holding a hearing Wednesday on a series of multimillion-dollar pandemic fraud schemes in Minnesota, with testimony from state lawmakers who House Republicans say “sounded the alarm.”

Republican officials have argued for years that Minnesota was slow to act in what federal prosecutors described as the “largest pandemic fraud in the United States.” But the issue saw a resurgence late last year — and it hasn’t gone away, as the GOP puts pressure on Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, who announced this week that he was ending his reelection bid. 

RELATED POSTS

Huckabee’s remarks on Israel and Middle East were taken out of context, embassy says

Man shot, killed at Mar-a-Lago perimeter, Secret Service says

In December, House Republicans on the Oversight Committee launched an investigation into Walz’s handling of the fraud cases. And committee Chairman James Comer, a Kentucky Republican, invited the Minnesota governor and Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison to testify before the committee next month. 

“Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison have either been asleep at the wheel or complicit in a massive fraud involving taxpayer dollars in Minnesota’s social services programs,” Comer said in a statement announcing the hearing. “American taxpayers demand and deserve accountability for the theft of their hard-earned money.”

Comer said in addition to conducting transcribed interviews with Minnesota state officials, the panel would hold hearings on the fraud “to expose failures, identify solutions, and deliver accountability.”

Walz cited the fraud earlier this week in his decision to end his gubernatorial bid, acknowledging that in recent years, “an organized group of criminals have sought to take advantage of our state’s generosity.” He added that “even as we make progress in the fight against the fraudsters, we now see an organized group of political actors seeking to take advantage of the crisis.”

What to know about Minnesota fraud

Federal law enforcement officials say a litany of social service programs in Minnesota were targeted by fraudsters, including child nutrition, autism services and housing stabilization programs, in what one prosecutor described as “industrial-scale fraud.”

Some 92 people have faced federal charges so far, with 62 convicted.

The scandal began with allegations that people bilked nearly $250 million from a program that partnered with the Minnesota Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to distribute meals to children during the pandemic. Dozens of people have been convicted or pleaded guilty to collecting reimbursements for meals that weren’t actually served.

Prosecutors have also charged over a dozen people with submitting phony reimbursements to a now-defunct program that helped seniors and people with disabilities find housing — including two Pennsylvanians who allegedly traveled to Minnesota in what officials described as “fraud tourism.” And a program that funds therapy for children with autism was allegedly hit with fraud.

And a conservative YouTuber alleged nearly a dozen day care centers in Minnesota that are receiving public funds are not actually providing any services. Some of the day care centers and state regulators have pushed back on those allegations.

Walz has faced criticism for his handling of the fraud schemes, with watchdog agencies and Republican lawmakers arguing the state government missed warning signs and moved too slowly to shut down fraudulent payments. 

The governor has long defended his handling of the crisis, arguing he has moved quickly to halt fraud and refer people for criminal prosecution.

Meanwhile, President Trump has focused on the fact that most — but not all — of the fraud defendants are of Somali descent, drawing backlash from local officials like Walz, who called the president’s comments “vile, racist lies and slander.”

How to watch the Minnesota fraud hearing

  • What: Hearing on “Oversight of Fraud and Misuse of Federal Funds in Minnesota: Part I”
  • Date: Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2026
  • Time: 10 a.m. ET
  • Online stream: Live in the player above. 

Minnesota Fraud

More


Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Kaia Hubbard Joe Walsh

Related Posts

Huckabee’s remarks on Israel and Middle East were taken out of context, embassy says
Politics

Huckabee’s remarks on Israel and Middle East were taken out of context, embassy says

February 22, 2026
Man shot, killed at Mar-a-Lago perimeter, Secret Service says
Politics

Man shot, killed at Mar-a-Lago perimeter, Secret Service says

February 22, 2026
DHS suspending TSA PreCheck, Global Entry programs amid partial shutdown
Politics

DHS suspending TSA PreCheck, Global Entry programs amid partial shutdown

February 21, 2026
Massive buildup of U.S. firepower in Middle East as Iran, Russia hold live fire exercises
Politics

Massive buildup of U.S. firepower in Middle East as Iran, Russia hold live fire exercises

February 21, 2026
Records show ICE agent fatally shot U.S. citizen nearly a year ago in Texas
Politics

Records show ICE agent fatally shot U.S. citizen nearly a year ago in Texas

February 21, 2026
Trump says he will raise global tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court decision
Politics

Trump says he will raise global tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court decision

February 21, 2026
Next Post
U.S. military seizes 2 oil tankers linked to Venezuela

U.S. military seizes 2 oil tankers linked to Venezuela

U.S. seizes oil tankers; Rubio says U.S. will control money from oil sales

U.S. seizes oil tankers; Rubio says U.S. will control money from oil sales

Recommended Stories

Scott Bessent discusses Trump accounts, Federal Reserve

Scott Bessent discusses Trump accounts, Federal Reserve

January 31, 2026
Rubio to testify about Venezuela at Senate hearing today

Rubio to testify about Venezuela at Senate hearing today

January 28, 2026
Judge blocks California law banning federal law enforcement agents from wearing masks

Judge blocks California law banning federal law enforcement agents from wearing masks

February 9, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Iran’s navy holds joint military exercises with Russia amid renewed threats from Trump

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s fired Federal Reserve board member Lisa Cook

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Texas overhauls anti-abortion program that spent millions with little oversight

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?