• About
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Democratic states sue Trump administration over frozen education funds

by Graham Kates
July 14, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Democratic states sue Trump administration over frozen education funds

RELATED POSTS

Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

Democratic officials from 24 states and the District of Columbia sued the Trump administration on Monday seeking to restore access to billions of dollars in frozen education funding.

The states lost out on funding for after-school and summer programs, teacher training, English language learners and support for the children of migrant farmworkers, among and other initiatives, as part of the June 30 freeze on more than $6 billion that the states say was allocated by Congress.

The states were notified by email from the Education Department on June 30 that the funds, which had been expected the next day, were being held for a “review” geared toward “ensuring taxpayer resources are spent in accordance with the President’s priorities.”

The Department remains committed to ensuring taxpayer resources are spent in accordance with the President’s priorities and the Department’s statutory responsibilities.

In a complaint in U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island, lawyers for the states said the decision to freeze the funds had caused “chaos.” The suit named as defendants Education Secretary Linda McMahon, President Trump and Russell Vought, director of the Office of Management and Budget.

“States already have planned for the upcoming academic year — which is set to start in weeks in many areas — in reliance on the billions of dollars that are now frozen,” they wrote. “The budgets for many local educational agencies (LEAs) have already been approved and staffing plans have been developed so that LEAs can perform their responsibilities for the impacted programs.”

California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a press release that the funding freeze was done “with no rhyme or reason.” His office said the freeze is blocking $939 million in funding for California alone.

“Taken together with his other attacks on education, President Trump seems comfortable risking the academic success of a generation to further his own misguided political agenda,” Bonta said. “But as with so many of his other actions, this funding freeze is blatantly illegal, and we’re confident the court will agree.”

The latest legal fight between Democratic state officials and the federal government comes as Mr. Trump has promised to dismantle the federal Department of Education, an ambition supported by McMahon. A federal judge in Massachusetts blocked an executive order to unwind the department in May.

The Education Department did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

The states joining Monday’s legal action are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.

Many of the states are also parties to litigation filed earlier this year contesting layoffs at the federal agency and the White House’s efforts to rollback diversity programming.

More from CBS News

Graham Kates

Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at KatesG@cbsnews.com or grahamkates@protonmail.com

Share6Tweet4Share1

Graham Kates

Related Posts

Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House
Politics

Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

August 29, 2025
Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office
Politics

Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

August 29, 2025
Judge grapples with Trump’s attempt to remove Lisa Cook as Fed governor
Politics

Judge grapples with Trump’s attempt to remove Lisa Cook as Fed governor

August 29, 2025
Joni Ernst won’t seek reelection to Senate in 2026, sources say
Politics

Joni Ernst won’t seek reelection to Senate in 2026, sources say

August 29, 2025
Conservatives, economists wary of U.S. stakes in Intel or any other companies
Politics

Conservatives, economists wary of U.S. stakes in Intel or any other companies

August 29, 2025
“De minimis” U.S. tariffs exemption for low-value imports ends
Politics

“De minimis” U.S. tariffs exemption for low-value imports ends

August 29, 2025
Next Post
Trump’s latest tariff salvo fuels economic uncertainty, experts say

Trump's latest tariff salvo fuels economic uncertainty, experts say

Trump administration imposes 17% tariff on fresh Mexican tomatoes

Trump administration imposes 17% tariff on fresh Mexican tomatoes

Recommended Stories

After CDC shooting, leadership vacuums and delays frustrate staff

After CDC shooting, leadership vacuums and delays frustrate staff

August 12, 2025
CDC staff reel from shooting, harassment, mass layoffs

CDC staff reel from shooting, harassment, mass layoffs

August 22, 2025
Democrats using inflation to target House Republicans in Labor Day weekend ads

Democrats using inflation to target House Republicans in Labor Day weekend ads

August 28, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Democrats unveil maps of California’s redistricting proposal

    Democrats unveil maps of California’s redistricting proposal

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Feds charge man who burned U.S. flag outside White House

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?