• About
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Coast Guard halts search for suspected smugglers after U.S. strike

by Joe Walsh
January 2, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Alleged drug smugglers jumped overboard in recent boat strikes, U.S. military says

RELATED POSTS

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

The U.S. Coast Guard said late Friday it has called off a dayslong search for several people in the Eastern Pacific who jumped overboard when their alleged drug-trafficking boats were targeted by the U.S. military.

The military says it struck a group of three boats on Tuesday — part of a monthslong campaign of airstrikes that the Trump administration says are targeting Latin American drug cartels at sea. But after the first boat was struck, killing three, as many as eight people aboard the other two boats abandoned their vessels, U.S. officials told CBS News earlier this week.

The Coast Guard said in a statement that the people were reported missing about 400 nautical miles off the Mexico-Guatemala border. The search lasted about 65 hours and covered an area of ocean that spanned more than 1,090 nautical miles, but multiple search boats did not spot any “survivors or debris,” according to the Coast Guard.

“At this stage of the response, the likelihood of a successful outcome, based on elapsed time, environmental conditions, and available resources for a person in the water is very low,” Coast Guard Capt. Patrick Dill said in the statement.

The search was carried out by a Coast Guard plane that took off from California, a vessel in the area that belonged to the Coast Guard’s emergency assistance system and three other nearby vessels that were asked to help. The Coast Guard said in its statement that “available assets were extremely limited due to distance and range constraints.”

A Coast Guard spokesperson told CBS News earlier Friday that 40-knot winds and nine-foot seas were reported in the area.

Colombian President Gustavo Petro — who has clashed with the Trump administration in recent months — wrote on X Friday that the people appeared to survive the strikes. He said the Colombian Navy was willing to assist.

The U.S. military has conducted at least 35 boat strikes in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific between Sept. 2 and Dec. 31, killing at least 115 people.

The military has reported survivors in a handful of boat strikes — and has faced heavy scrutiny for its handling of those cases. Two survivors from a mid-October strike were detained by the U.S. Navy and then repatriated to Colombia and Ecuador. One survivor from a late October operation is presumed dead after the Mexican Navy called off a search for the person.

And in the Trump administration’s first set of boat strikes on Sept. 2, two people survived the initial attack but were killed in a follow-on strike. Congressional Democrats who viewed a video of the operation criticized the second strike, alleging the military killed shipwrecked people who no longer posed a threat, but GOP lawmakers have called the strike justifiable, arguing the survivors appeared to still be in the fight.

The boat strikes are part of a broader military buildup in the region, amid a growing U.S. pressure campaign against the regime of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. The Trump administration has accused Maduro’s government of working with drug cartels, which it denies.

The operations have drawn criticism from lawmakers who argue the president is operating without permission from Congress. The Trump administration has defended the strikes as necessary to combat drug trafficking, calling the targets “unlawful combatants.”

Caitlin Yilek and

Nicole Sganga

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

Share6Tweet4Share1

Joe Walsh

Related Posts

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors
Politics

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

February 19, 2026
Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize
Politics

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

February 19, 2026
Man sprays Rep. Ilhan Omar with unknown substance at town hall
Politics

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

February 19, 2026
Key legislators seek DOJ records on Alex Pretti and Renee Good killings by next week
Politics

Judge holds DOJ lawyer in contempt as tensions flare over immigration cases

February 19, 2026
Trump administration orders review of refugees who entered under Biden, memo shows
Politics

Trump administration gives ICE broader powers to detain legal refugees

February 18, 2026
Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups
Politics

Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Explosions and low-flying aircraft heard in Venezuela’s capital Caracas

Explosions and low-flying aircraft heard in Venezuela's capital Caracas

U.S. launches military strikes on Venezuela, ramping up pressure on Maduro

U.S. launches military strikes on Venezuela, ramping up pressure on Maduro

Recommended Stories

Alex Vindman, Army vet who testified against Trump, enters Florida Senate race

Alex Vindman, Army vet who testified against Trump, enters Florida Senate race

January 27, 2026
Vance to celebrate early Thanksgiving with troops at Fort Campbell

Second lady Usha Vance announces she is pregnant with fourth child

January 20, 2026
Read the full transcript of Kelly O’Grady’s interview with Scott Bessent

Read the full transcript of Kelly O’Grady’s interview with Scott Bessent

January 28, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?