• About
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Alleged drug smugglers jumped overboard in recent boat strikes, U.S. military says

by Caitlin Yilek
December 31, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Alleged drug smugglers jumped overboard in recent boat strikes, U.S. military says

Washington — Individuals on board two alleged drug smuggling boats jumped into the water after an initial strike on another boat on Tuesday, the U.S. military said.   

U.S. Southern Command announced Wednesday that three “narco-trafficking vessels traveling as a convoy” were struck in “international waters” a day earlier. Three people were killed when the first boat was hit, according to Southern Command. 

RELATED POSTS

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

“The remaining narco-terrorists abandoned the other two vessels, jumping overboard and distancing themselves before follow-on engagements sank their respective vessels,” Southern Command said, adding that the U.S. Coast Guard had been notified for search-and-rescue efforts. 

In a separate statement, the Coast Guard said it was notified Tuesday about “mariners in distress in the Pacific Ocean.” 

“The U.S. Coast Guard is coordinating search-and-rescue operations with vessels in the area, and a Coast Guard C-130 aircraft is en route to provide further search coverage with the ability to drop a survival raft and supplies,” the statement said. 

As many as eight people abandoned the remaining two vessels, three U.S. officials told CBS News. One of the officials said the strikes were conducted in the eastern Pacific Ocean. 

A 46-second video of the strikes did not appear to show any survivors in the water. 

The U.S. military also said it conducted strikes Wednesday on two vessels, killing five people, Southern Command said later in the day, bringing the estimated death toll in the monthslong military campaign against alleged drug smugglers to at least 115.

“Intelligence confirmed the vessels were transiting along known narco-trafficking routes and engaged in narco-trafficking. A total of five narco-terrorists were killed during these actions – three in the first vessel and two in the second,” Southern Command said.

The Trump administration’s handling of survivors has come under intense scrutiny, with some critics accusing it of committing potential war crimes after a follow-up strike on Sept. 2 killed two survivors. Two men who survived a strike in the Caribbean Sea on Oct. 16 were detained by the U.S. Navy and repatriated to their countries of origin, prompting questions about the danger the Trump administration has claimed alleged drug traffickers pose to the U.S. Strikes on Oct. 27 in the Pacific left one survivor, who has since been presumed dead.  

Members of Congress — mostly Democrats — have sought to rein in the boat strikes, which come as the Trump administration escalates pressure against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. The administration has accused Maduro of drug trafficking and working with gangs designated by the U.S. as terrorist organizations, which Maduro denies.

Lawmakers have raised the alarm that the strikes, which have not been authorized by Congress, could lead to war with Venezuela and have questioned their legality.

President Trump, who has repeatedly threatened land strikes against Venezuela, said the U.S. “knocked out” a “big facility” last week linked to the alleged drug smuggling operations, but his administration has provided few details on the matter. 

“There was a major explosion in the dock area where they load the boats up with drugs,” Mr. Trump told reporters Monday in Florida. 

Many Republicans have defended the strikes, including after the administration acknowledged that two survivors of the Sept. 2 boat attack were killed in a follow-up strike. 

Both critics and defenders of the Sept. 2 follow-up strike have called for the video to be released to the public, but Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the Pentagon has no plans to do so.

Nicole Sganga and

Eleanor Watson

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Caitlin Yilek

Related Posts

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors
Politics

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

February 19, 2026
Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize
Politics

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

February 19, 2026
Man sprays Rep. Ilhan Omar with unknown substance at town hall
Politics

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

February 19, 2026
Key legislators seek DOJ records on Alex Pretti and Renee Good killings by next week
Politics

Judge holds DOJ lawyer in contempt as tensions flare over immigration cases

February 19, 2026
Trump administration orders review of refugees who entered under Biden, memo shows
Politics

Trump administration gives ICE broader powers to detain legal refugees

February 18, 2026
Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups
Politics

Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Zohran Mamdani sworn in at abandoned NYC subway station, becoming city’s 112th mayor

Zohran Mamdani sworn in at abandoned NYC subway station, becoming city's 112th mayor

Trump administration delays tariff increases on furniture, kitchen cabinets

Trump administration delays tariff increases on furniture, kitchen cabinets

Recommended Stories

Shutdown threat looms as Democrats pledge to block funding after shooting

Shutdown threat looms as Democrats pledge to block funding after shooting

January 26, 2026
Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

Trump honors Jesse Jackson as “force of nature”

February 17, 2026
Khanna names 6 men who he says were redacted from Epstein files for “no apparent reason”

Khanna names 6 men who he says were redacted from Epstein files for “no apparent reason”

February 13, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?