• About
  • Contact
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Controversial pro-Trump attorney Ed Martin leaving administration

by Sarah N. Lynch Jacob Rosen
August 21, 2026
Reading Time: 5 mins read
0
Controversial pro-Trump attorney Ed Martin leaving administration

Washington — Ed Martin, the pro-Trump lawyer who has been at the center of several controversies during his time at the Justice Department, is departing the Trump administration, the president announced in a post on Truth Social Friday afternoon.

Martin previously served as interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia during a tenure that was marked by turmoil. He later served as the head of then-Attorney General Pam Bondi’s “Weaponization Working Group” and has most recently served as pardon attorney, an advisory position in the department that involves reviewing clemency applications and making recommendations.

RELATED POSTS

Canada announces retaliatory tariffs on U.S. after negotiations collapse

Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94

Martin was President Trump’s first pick to be the top federal prosecutor in D.C., but he failed to garner enough support from the Republican-controlled Senate to win permanent confirmation. Senators took issue with his advocacy on behalf of rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. 

“Ed Martin has been with me from the very beginning, and done an incredible job as an Attorney, Director of the Weaponization Working Group, and the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia,” Mr. Trump wrote, adding he is “leaving to go outside to fight Legal Battles for the upcoming Midterm Election, and the Presidential Election of 2028.”

Under Martin’s watch as interim U.S. attorney, more than a dozen probationary federal prosecutors who had handled investigations into the Jan. 6 attack were fired. Martin, who was involved with the “Stop the Steal” movement in the wake of Mr. Trump’s loss in the 2020 presidential election, also ordered prosecutors to launch an internal inquiry into how they decided to charge some Jan. 6 defendants with felony obstruction charges.

Ed Martin speaks during a press conference on May 13, 2025, in Washington, D.C.

Ed Martin speaks during a press conference on May 13, 2025, in Washington, D.C.

Craig Hudson For The Washington Post via Getty Images


The top criminal chief in his office resigned after alleging he had pressured her to launch a criminal investigation and freeze assets belonging to a grant awarded by the Environmental Protection Agency during the Biden administration — even though there was no evidence of a crime.

Later, he also demoted a number of prosecutors in the office to entry-level roles, angering staff and helping to spark a mass exodus of career prosecutors from the office.

Martin made waves by frequently announcing the targets of his investigations on social media, in violation of the Justice Department’s manual governing the rules for prosecutors.

Career lawyers blocked him from opening a criminal investigation into Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer over political comments he made in 2020 in which Schumer said that several conservative Supreme Court justices would “pay the price” over actions that scaled back abortion rights, sources said.

His targeting of Georgetown University Law Center later earned him an ethics complaint by D.C.’s Office of Disciplinary Counsel. Martin threatened to cease hiring the school’s graduates if it did not abandon its policies on diversity, equity and inclusion.

He was also separately deputized as a special assistant U.S. attorney and tasked with helping lead mortgage-related investigations into Democratic Sen. Adam Schiff of California, New York Attorney General Letitia James and Federal Reserve Board Governor Lisa Cook, sources familiar with the probes told CBS News.

That role, however, landed him in hot water after he publicly posted photos of himself wearing a brown trenchcoat outside of James’ brownstone in Brooklyn, a move that angered senior department leadership and ultimately contributed to his removal from overseeing the Weaponization Working Group, sources previously told CBS News.

He also faced criticism from officials in the deputy attorney general’s office under Todd Blanche for what they saw as a lack of productivity on the Weaponization Working Group, sources previously said.

In emails obtained by a government watchdog that were later shared with the New York Times, Blanche bristled in one exchange with Martin, telling him “I am frustrated.” In another email, Blanche scolded him for publicly discussing details of a non-public investigation, writing: “This is becoming a real problem, Ed.”

The cases against Cook and Schiff have thus far not materialized. In James’ case, a federal judge dismissed an indictment against her related to mortgage fraud on the grounds that the interim U.S. attorney who secured her indictment was unlawfully appointed to that role. The DOJ has appealed that ruling. 

CBS News has reached out to Martin for comment about his departure from the administration. 

An official close to Martin told CBS News on Friday that Martin and Blanche have since mended their relationship. 

In a post on X, Blanche called Martin a “patriot who loves this nation.”

In recent days, the source close to Martin said that Blanche personally assigned him to help promote the Justice Department’s new initiative to allow some people who are prohibited from possessing firearms, such as convicted felons, to petition to have their rights restored.

The Justice Department has also since filed a statement of interest in support of Martin in the ongoing ethics case against him in D.C.

A CBS News reporter also observed Martin at the Justice Department applauding for Blanche, after the newly confirmed attorney general addressed department staff in a large gathering for the first time earlier this month.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Sarah N. Lynch Jacob Rosen

Related Posts

Canada announces retaliatory tariffs on U.S. after negotiations collapse
Politics

Canada announces retaliatory tariffs on U.S. after negotiations collapse

August 22, 2026
Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94
Politics

Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94

August 22, 2026
U.S. set to impose 50% tariffs on Canada after failed talks; Canada to match them
Politics

U.S. set to impose 50% tariffs on Canada after failed talks; Canada to match them

August 21, 2026
Men describe being deported by U.S. to dangerous African nation: “We cannot leave”
Politics

Men describe being deported by U.S. to dangerous African nation: “We cannot leave”

August 21, 2026
Trump threatens defamation suit against left-leaning think tank
Politics

Trump threatens defamation suit against left-leaning think tank

August 21, 2026
Pentagon moves to fire publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes
Politics

Pentagon moves to fire publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes

August 21, 2026
Next Post
Pentagon moves to fire publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes

Pentagon moves to fire publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes

Trump threatens defamation suit against left-leaning think tank

Trump threatens defamation suit against left-leaning think tank

Recommended Stories

Rep. Max Miller denies domestic abuse allegations amid calls for investigation

Rep. Max Miller denies domestic abuse allegations amid calls for investigation

July 31, 2026
U.K. prime minister messages with impersonator of top Trump staffer

U.K. prime minister messages with impersonator of top Trump staffer

August 17, 2026
House Ethics probing Rep. Max Miller for alleged domestic violence, drug use

House Ethics probing Rep. Max Miller for alleged domestic violence, drug use

August 4, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    109 shares
    Share 44 Tweet 27
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • IndyCar is holding its first race in D.C. this weekend. Here’s what to know.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Strait of Hormuz traffic falls to new low as Iran-backed group kills 6 in Red Sea

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Adavia Davis and the Rise of AI-Driven Faceless YouTube Empires

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?