• About
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Army to nix drone battalion set up to absorb lessons from Ukraine war

by Eleanor Watson Chris Livesay
August 20, 2026
Reading Time: 5 mins read
0
Army to nix drone battalion set up to absorb lessons from Ukraine war

RELATED POSTS

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building

Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say

The U.S. Army is planning to phase out a drone battalion tasked just last year with studying and taking on board lessons on drone warfare, including from the ongoing Ukraine war, an Army official confirmed to CBS News on Thursday. 

Multiple current and former U.S. officials told CBS News the decision to nix the unit came amid tension between the senior officers who championed the battalion and Gen. Christopher LaNeve, the acting chief of staff of the Army. 

The unit was pushed by former Army Chief of Staff Gen. Randy George and the former commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa, Gen. Christopher Donahue. Both were fired or forced to retire early, paving the way for LaNeve’s rise to acting Army chief of staff. 

The unit, known as the Unmanned Assault Battalion, was schooled in drone warfare and set to be used as a special group that could deploy anywhere drones were required. 

The war in Ukraine has highlighted the key role drones now play in warfare for several years. Early in the war launched jointly by the U.S. and Israel against Iran, that message was driven home further as Iran launched one-way attack drones at U.S. military installations across the Middle East. 

The Unmanned Assault Battalion is participating in an exercise set to run through September, where it will deliver what its members have learned over the past year to inform the Army’s future warfare.

An Army official told CBS News that, after the exercise, the unit will “refocus on its core warfighting tasks as an airborne infantry battalion,” which means the soldiers are trained to parachute and drop out of aircraft. The battalion is part of the 173rd Airborne Brigade. 

A soldier from the U.S. Army pilots a drone in an exercise in Hohenfels, Germany, on Thursday, April 30, 2026.

A soldier from the U.S. Army pilots a drone in an exercise in Hohenfels, Germany, on Thursday, April 30, 2026.

Alex Kraus / Bloomberg via Getty Images


The Wall Street Journal first reported that the drone unit would be phased out. 

Last year, George, the former Army chief of staff, and Army Secretary Dan Driscoll rolled out what they called the Army Transformation Initiative, which emphasized unmanned systems. 

“I don’t think I’ve talked to a single person who has said we shouldn’t be learning from what’s occurring in Ukraine,” Driscoll told Margaret Brennan on “Face the Nation” last year. 

A spokesperson for the Army secretary said Driscoll did not have a comment on the drone unit. 

Strategic moves based on personal disagreements?

Multiple current and former officials told CBS News there has been long-simmering tension between LaNeve and the former senior officers who pushed for the unit to be established. 

The officials said there was prior tension between LaNeve and Donahue after LaNeve’s tenure as the commander of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division ended earlier than what is typical for that position. After he was “soft relieved,” the officials said, LaNeve was quickly pushed out of his house at Fort Bragg in North Carolina so the new commander could move in. Officials said that episode contributed to ill will between LaNeve and Donahue. 

A spokesperson for LaNeve referred questions to the Army, which declined to comment beyond the statement confirming plans to shut down the drone unit.

LaNeve published his vision for the Army this week in a document titled “The Army Azimuth.” The document said soldiers will focus on the fundamentals of soldiering while incorporating new capabilities, including defending against unmanned systems or drones.

“Every Soldier deserves to know where this Army is headed and what’s expected of them. That’s what an azimuth is — clear direction. My focus is simple and it hasn’t changed: this Army must fight and win today,” LaNeve said in a statement.

“There needs to be more drones”

David Petraeus, a retired Army general and former director of the CIA, told CBS News in April that the U.S. needs to act now to incorporate drones for future warfare.

“In some Western countries right now, they think that innovativeness is giving 50 drones to an armored battalion,” Petraeus said. “No. What we should do is scrap the armored battalions and replace them with a drone battalion.”

U.S. Army Capt. Ronan Sefton was first deployed to Germany with the Army’s 2nd Cavalry Regiment not long after Russia launched its invasion in 2022. In March, he told CBS’ “60 Minutes” that Americans had been learning from the Ukrainians’ battlefield experience. 

“The first really poignant lesson for us was, there needs to be more drones,” Sefton told correspondent Holly Williams. “They need to be everywhere involved in the training to add to the realism.”

Sefton said he told every senior U.S. commander he could find that “this is important, it’s changing warfare and here’s how we can actually implement it now.”

He went on to join the Army’s Ukraine Lessons Learned Task Force, a separate unit from the one which is being phased out, but which was also given the job of translating experience from Ukraine’s fighting force to America’s military. New technology will not make the U.S. military’s traditional firepower obsolete, Sefton said, but it will need to adapt, urgently, to counter the drones developed by America’s adversaries. 

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

Eleanor Watson Chris Livesay

Related Posts

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building
Politics

Woman accused of plotting “major attack” on New York State Capitol building

August 20, 2026
Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say
Politics

Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say

August 20, 2026
Judge temporarily blocks officials from deporting witness of deadly ICE shooting
Politics

ICE, Iran quietly worked together on deporting Iranians to Iran, emails show

August 20, 2026
USS Abraham Lincoln leaving Middle East after 9-month deployment
Politics

USS Abraham Lincoln leaving Middle East after 9-month deployment

August 20, 2026
Aisha Wahab wins special election to serve out remainder of Eric Swalwell’s term
Politics

Aisha Wahab wins special election to serve out remainder of Eric Swalwell’s term

August 20, 2026
Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida’s 9th District
Politics

Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida’s 9th District

August 20, 2026
Next Post
Judge temporarily blocks officials from deporting witness of deadly ICE shooting

ICE, Iran quietly worked together on deporting Iranians to Iran, emails show

Liberia receives first group of “third country” deportees from U.S., officials say

Liberia receives first group of "third country" deportees from U.S., officials say

Recommended Stories

7/31: The Takeout with Major Garrett

7/31: The Takeout with Major Garrett

July 31, 2026
Republican-led Senate committee votes to hold Fauci in contempt over silence in COVID hearing

Republican-led Senate committee votes to hold Fauci in contempt over silence in COVID hearing

August 6, 2026
Trump mounts new effort to fire Fed’s Lisa Cook after Supreme Court ruling

Trump mounts new effort to fire Fed’s Lisa Cook after Supreme Court ruling

August 7, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    107 shares
    Share 43 Tweet 27
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?