• About
  • Contact
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Trump announces prisoner swap in 3-day Russia-Ukraine ceasefire

by Kathryn Watson
May 8, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Trump announces prisoner swap in 3-day Russia-Ukraine ceasefire

RELATED POSTS

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

Washington — President Trump on Friday announced Russia and Ukraine will swap 1,000 prisoners as a part of a three-day ceasefire for the observation of Victory Day in Russia this weekend. 

Russia and Ukraine previously announced separate ceasefires on different days, so the timeline isn’t entirely clear. Mr. Trump said the temporary ceasefire will suspend all kinetic activity Saturday through Monday. In statements, Ukraine and Russia appeared to agree to the terms Mr. Trump announced. 

Taking to Truth Social, the U.S. president said he requested the temporary ceasefire, and appreciates Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy agreeing to it. 

“Hopefully, it is the beginning of the end of a very long, deadly, and hard fought War,” he said of a war that’s over four years old. “Talks are continuing on ending this Major Conflict, the biggest since World War II, and we are getting closer and closer every day.”

Earlier this week, Zelenskyy announced a ceasefire for May 5-6, while Russia last week suggested a ceasefire for May 8-9. 

Yuri Ushakov, an aide to the Russian head of state, said in a statement, “On the instructions of the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, I confirm the acceptability for the Russian side of the initiative proposed just now by U.S. President Donald Trump regarding a ceasefire for the exchange of prisoners of war between Russia and Ukraine.”

Zelenskyy appeared to agree with the ceasefire proposal and prisoner swap in a translated statement posted to Telegram. The Ukrainian president said his country “received Russia’s agreement to conduct a prisoner exchange in the format of 1,000 for 1,000.”

“There should also be a ceasefire on May 9, 10, and 11. Ukraine is consistently working to return its people from Russian captivity,” Zelenskyy said. “I have instructed our team to promptly prepare everything necessary for the exchange.”

Mr. Trump’s announcement comes as top U.S. officials met this week with Ukrainian representatives in Miami, and after a call Mr. Trump and Putin had last week. 

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

Kathryn Watson

Related Posts

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race
Politics

Byron Donalds, David Jolly to face off in Florida governor’s race

August 18, 2026
8/10: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

Trump says he paused 50% tariffs on some Canadian goods as deal being finalized

August 18, 2026
U.S., South Korea cut short their joint military drills at Trump’s direction
Politics

U.S., South Korea cut short their joint military drills at Trump’s direction

August 18, 2026
Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon
Politics

Florida Senate race set between Ashley Moody and Angie Nixon

August 18, 2026
Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places
Politics

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to midterm polling places

August 18, 2026
Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight
Politics

Who is Natalie Harp? Trump’s loyal assistant suddenly in the spotlight

August 18, 2026
Next Post
5/8: The Takeout with Major Garrett

5/8: The Takeout with Major Garrett

5/8: CBS Evening News

5/8: CBS Evening News

Recommended Stories

8/16: CBS Weekend News

8/16: CBS Weekend News

August 16, 2026
Acting attorney general issues order rescinding “anti-weaponization fund”

Acting attorney general issues order rescinding “anti-weaponization fund”

August 2, 2026
Republican-led Senate committee votes to hold Fauci in contempt over silence in COVID hearing

Republican-led Senate committee votes to hold Fauci in contempt over silence in COVID hearing

August 6, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    105 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • DOJ says it’s no longer illegal to download TikTok on federal devices

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?