• About
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

U.S. commandos in Ecuador for mission targeting alleged narco-terrorists

by James LaPorta
April 1, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
U.S. commandos in Ecuador for mission targeting alleged narco-terrorists

Washington — American commandos in recent days joined Ecuadorian troops in a joint mission aimed at dismantling a suspected criminal hub operated by an alleged narco-terrorist organization along the country’s coast.

The operation, dubbed Lanza Marina, focused on a compound believed to serve as a staging ground for high-speed boats linked to Los Choneros, a powerful Ecuadorian criminal organization, according to two U.S. officials who spoke to CBS News under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. 

The two U.S. officials said the American forces worked in advisory roles, assisting and accompanying their Ecuadorian counterparts as they moved against the site, part of a broader effort to curb trafficking networks that rely on fast-moving maritime routes. 

U.S. Southern Command did not immediately respond to a CBS News request for comment. 

The Defense Department has historically used several authorities such as security cooperation agreements and train-and-equip programs to allow U.S. special operation forces to support foreign forces. For instance, “127 Echo missions,” referring to 10 U.S.C. § 127e, are commonplace. 127e is the legal authority that allows for the U.S. military to support foreign forces to combat terrorism. While these types of missions are overseen by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low-Intensity Conflict, the defense secretary has historically been required to approve these missions and to sign congressional notification letters, according to documents obtained by The New York Times. 

CBS News exclusively reported last year that President Trump rolled back constraints on American commanders to authorize airstrikes and special operation raids outside conventional battlefields, broadening the range of people who could be targeted. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth confirmed the reporting by CBS News was accurate. 

In early March, the United States and Ecuador launched joint military operations against “designated terrorist organizations” in the South American country amid the U.S. military’s unilateral strikes against boats in the Caribbean Sea and Eastern Pacific accused by the Trump administration of smuggling drugs.  Strikes against suspected drug smuggling boats began in September 2025 resulting in at least 47 strikes killing about 163 people.

“We commend the men and women of the Ecuadorian armed forces for their unwavering commitment to this fight, demonstrating courage and resolve through continued actions against narco-terrorists in their country,” said Marine Gen. Francis Donovan, commander of U.S. Southern Command in a statement last month. 

ECUADOR-US-DIPLOMACY-POLITICS

An Ecuadorian soldier looks on during a visit of special envoy of the U.S. Shield of the Americas Program Kristi Noem outside the Carondelet Palace in Quito on March 25, 2026.

Rodrigo BUENDIA /AFP via Getty Images


RELATED POSTS

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

5/17: CBS Weekend News

Last year, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced that Los Choneros had been designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization and Specially Designated Global Terrorists. 

The first designtation, conferred by the State Department, carries the weight of criminal law and national security doctrine as well as immigration consequences. By contrast, the second designation, which is administered by the Treasury Department, is rooted in financial warfare that targets the economic lifelines of organizations and individuals. 

For decades, Los Choneros has exerted a profound influence over the country’s escalating violence, evolving from a regional gang into a sprawling network with international reach. 

Formed in the 1990s, the group adopted a decentralized structure more akin to a franchise than a traditional hierarchy, according to the National Counter Terrorism Center. Loosely aligned factions have operated under its name, allowing the organization to expand and adapt even as authorities targeted its leadership. 

Beyond the country’s borders, Los Choneros has forged ties with powerful transnational networks, including Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel and criminal groups from Albania, enabling it to play a role in global drug trafficking routes. The National Counter Terrorism Center assesses that the organization has approximately 12,000 members and while it primarily operates in Manabi, Ecuador, they also have a presence in at least 10 other Ecuadorian provinces as well as Colombia and Peru. 

Eleanor Watson

contributed to this report.

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

James LaPorta

Related Posts

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds
Politics

Americans largely disapprove of Trump’s handling of the economy, CBS News poll finds

May 18, 2026
5/17: CBS Weekend News
Politics

5/17: CBS Weekend News

May 17, 2026
Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain
Politics

Reported U.S. plan to indict Raúl Castro could mean reform for Cuba, but questions remain

May 17, 2026
Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll
Politics

Trump’s approval ratings on the economy continue to fall in latest CBS News poll

May 17, 2026
CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach
Politics

CBS News poll finds many voice frustration with Trump’s economic approach

May 17, 2026
Senate GOP revising White House ballroom security funds plan
Politics

Senate GOP revising White House ballroom security funds plan

May 17, 2026
Next Post
DHS scraps Noem policy requiring secretary’s review of all contracts above $100K

DHS scraps Noem policy requiring secretary's review of all contracts above $100K

State Department overhauls Foreign Service Officer Test

State Department overhauls Foreign Service Officer Test

Recommended Stories

Cuba’s biggest threat to U.S. is collapse, says former defense secretary

Cuba’s biggest threat to U.S. is collapse, says former defense secretary

May 15, 2026
Extended interview: Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch

Extended interview: Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch

May 5, 2026
5/17: CBS Weekend News

5/17: CBS Weekend News

May 17, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    38 shares
    Share 15 Tweet 10
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Quiet and the New Era of Anonymous Car Culture Online

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Trump says he’s making Saudi Arabia a major non-NATO ally

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • House to vote on historic crypto bill after right-wing rebellion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?