• About
  • Contact
Monday, August 17, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Prosecutors in Minneapolis say more could resign over handling of shootings

by Sarah N. Lynch Jonah Kaplan
January 29, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Prosecutors in Minneapolis say more could resign over handling of shootings

RELATED POSTS

BBC asks court to subpoena Trump family members for defamation defense

U.K. prime minister messages with impersonator of top Trump staffer

Federal prosecutors in Minneapolis this week questioned the U.S. attorney over the lack of any civil rights investigations into two fatal shootings by immigration agents, and warned that more people could resign in protest if things don’t change, multiple sources told CBS News.

In a somber meeting on Monday between Minnesota U.S. Attorney Dan Rosen and assistant U.S. attorneys in the criminal division, prosecutors expressed concern that they were not allowed to investigate the federal officers who shot and killed Renee Good or Alex Pretti, sources familiar with the meeting said.

They also told Rosen they are worried about how President Trump’s immigration enforcement surge in Minnesota is being handled by the office, warning that they are facing pressure to rush to file criminal charges against people accused of assaulting federal officers without conducting a formal investigation, and that the intense focus on such cases is interfering with their ability to complete other important work.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment on the meeting, referring only to a memo Attorney General Pam Bondi wrote in February, in which she referred to the department attorneys as the president’s lawyers.

“Any attorney who because of their personal political views or judgments declines to sign a brief or appear in court, refuses to advance good-faith arguments on behalf of the Administration, or otherwise delays or impedes the Department’s mission will be subject to discipline and potentially termination, consistent with applicable law,” Bondi wrote.

The meeting comes as the FBI is asking agents who have experience handling assault on federal officer cases to volunteer to head to Minneapolis, several different sources said. The surge of resources comes after FBI Director Kash Patel claimed in a Jan. 24 post that the FBI had observed “a significant surge of threatening activity on social media, heavily concentrated in Minnesota and tied to escalating anti-law enforcement rhetoric.”

An FBI spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

The FBI, meanwhile, has not launched any investigation into Pretti’s death, and is only assisting the Department of Homeland Security’s Homeland Security Investigations in a limited capacity. So far, the FBI’s involvement has only entailed analyzing Pretti’s firearm at one of its forensics labs.

Prosecutors on Monday told Rosen, who has no prosecutorial experience, that when George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin in 2020, the local police department was not allowed to be involved in the state or federal investigations, one of the sources said. They said that it is concerning that DHS is leading the probe into Pretti’s shooting by two of its own agents. 

They also asked what would happen if they simply opened their own investigation into the matter and issued a few grand jury subpoenas, the source added, noting that they did not get a clear response.

Rosen urged people not to leave, telling them that they’re doing important work in the office and that the district needs them. But attorneys are feeling uneasy about the situation, sources said, and worry about their ability to fulfill their duties as prosecutors without compromising their moral and ethical obligations.

Earlier this month, six federal prosecutors in the office resigned amid pressure to investigate the killing of Renee Good as an assault on a federal officer and probe Good’s wife, Becca, over any efforts to conspire to impede immigration agents, sources previously told CBS.

Since then, another six assistant U.S. attorneys have also tendered their resignations, sources say. Three of those worked on criminal cases, and the other three were civil litigators who have been grappling with a deluge of requests by attorneys who are petitioning judges to release their immigrant clients from detention facilities.

The head of the squad that handles civil rights cases in the FBI’s Minneapolis field office also resigned earlier this month, after sources said she was pressured to reclassify the case from a civil rights investigation to an assault on a federal officer, CBS previously reported. 

Justice Department officials are now bracing for the possibility of more resignations in the coming days and weeks, sources say.

The Minneapolis U.S. Attorney’s office typically has between 60 and 70 attorneys. Even before the recent surge, it had already lost approximately half of its staff. And many of those who have since resigned were among the most senior in the office.

The Justice Department has already been flying in attorneys from other neighboring Midwestern districts to assist with the load, including the Eastern District of Michigan. 

It has also tapped lawyers from the military and from Immigration and Customs Enforcement to be designated as special assistant U.S. attorneys, though most of them lack substantial prosecutorial experience.

The concerns raised by prosecutors in Minneapolis are similar to those expressed by those in the Washington, D.C., U.S. Attorney’s Office last summer, when Mr. Trump surged law enforcement resources to address violent crime in the nation’s capital.

As part of that effort, the D.C. U.S. attorney ordered prosecutors to charge every case federally when possible — a mandate that backfired as the district saw many criminal complaints get dismissed and grand juries rejecting charges.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Share6Tweet4Share1

Sarah N. Lynch Jonah Kaplan

Related Posts

BBC asks court to subpoena Trump family members for defamation defense
Politics

BBC asks court to subpoena Trump family members for defamation defense

August 17, 2026
U.K. prime minister messages with impersonator of top Trump staffer
Politics

U.K. prime minister messages with impersonator of top Trump staffer

August 17, 2026
RFK Jr.’s hunt for autism culprits stalls amid Trump’s baseless vaccine order
Politics

RFK Jr.’s hunt for autism culprits stalls amid Trump’s baseless vaccine order

August 17, 2026
Trump orders Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with South Korea
Politics

Trump orders Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with South Korea

August 16, 2026
8/16: CBS Weekend News
Politics

8/16: CBS Weekend News

August 16, 2026
Bacon says Congress “should have oversight” amid concerns about USS Lincoln
Politics

Bacon says Congress “should have oversight” amid concerns about USS Lincoln

August 16, 2026
Next Post
Trump threatens tariffs on countries that sell oil to Cuba

Trump threatens tariffs on countries that sell oil to Cuba

Trump sues IRS and Treasury, accusing agencies of letting his tax returns leak

Trump sues IRS and Treasury, accusing agencies of letting his tax returns leak

Recommended Stories

White House is expected to shake up more leadership roles at DOJ, sources say

DOJ office says Trump’s outside advisers can be shielded by executive privilege

August 11, 2026
Fauci diaries, released by Sen. Paul, touch on COVID origins, Trump

Fauci diaries, released by Sen. Paul, touch on COVID origins, Trump

July 27, 2026
Trump meets with Zelenskyy and Netanyahu amid wars in Iran, Ukraine

Trump meets with Zelenskyy and Netanyahu amid wars in Iran, Ukraine

July 28, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    103 shares
    Share 41 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    27 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • How Jeffrey Epstein parlayed his elite network into a $25 million payday

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?