• About
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Officials: 9 child centers discussed in viral video “operating as expected”

by Nick Lentz WCCO Staff
January 2, 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Officials: 9 child centers discussed in viral video “operating as expected”

Nine of the Minnesota child care centers that were discussed in a viral video, prompting allegations of fraud, were “operating as expected” when state investigators conducted on-site checks this week, officials said on Friday.

The video posted late last month by conservative YouTuber Nick Shirley alleged nearly a dozen day care facilities in the state that are receiving public funds are not actually providing services. 

RELATED POSTS

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

The Minnesota Department of Children, Youth and Families said in a news release Friday that officials with the state’s Office of Inspector General carried out compliance checks this week as part of an “ongoing commitment to oversight.” 

Children were present during eight of the nine inspections, the agency said. One of the facilities did not have children present because it was not yet open for the day when inspectors were at the site.

“Investigators confirmed the centers were operating as expected, gathered evidence and initiated further review,” the state agency said in its release.

The agency also released the amount of funding that nine child care centers received from Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program in fiscal year 2025, which ended in September:

  • Super Kids Daycare Center — $471,787
  • Future Leaders Early Learning Center — $3.68 million
  • Quality Learning Centers —$1.9 million
  • Tayo Daycare — $1.09 million
  • Minnesota Child Care Center — $2.67 million 
  • Mini Child Care Center — $1.6 million
  • Sweet Angel Child Care — $1.54 million
  • ABC Learning Center — $1.04 million
  • Minnesota Best Child Care Center — $3.4 million

According to state officials, the program supports access to child care for 23,000 children and 12,000 working families in Minnesota “during an average month.” The program receives hundreds of millions of dollars in federal support annually.

The agency said it was made aware on Dec. 19 that Quality Learning Center intended to voluntarily close. When licensing investigators visited the facility ten days later, they learned it had chosen to remain open.

Investigators with DCYF are looking into four of the nine facilities, though the agency hasn’t disclosed which of them are under investigation or what they are being investigated for. The state also did not specify which child care center didn’t have children present during this week’s inspections.

Mako Child Care Center, which was also referenced in the video, has been closed since 2022, according to the agency.

“DCYF remains committed to fact-based reviews that stop fraud, protect children, support families, and minimize disruption to communities that rely on these essential services,” the agency said.

CBS News Minnesota conducted its own analysis of nearly a dozen day care centers mentioned by Shirley. All but two have active licenses, according to state records, and all active locations were visited by state regulators within the last six months. One, Sweet Angel Child Care, Inc., was subject to an unannounced inspection as recently as Dec. 4. 

CBS News’ review found dozens of citations related to safety, cleanliness, equipment and staff training, among other violations, but there was no recorded evidence of fraud.

Shirley’s video added fuel to a series of fraud scandals that have roiled Minnesota politics for years — and attracted national attention in recent months. Federal prosecutors have charged dozens of people with allegedly defrauding state programs that offered meals to needy children, behavioral therapy for children with autism and assistance for seniors searching for housing. 

Department of Homeland Security agents conducted what DHS Secretary Kristi Noem called a “massive investigation on childcare and other rampant fraud” on Dec. 29 in Minneapolis following the release of the video. Two DHS officials told CBS News that the agents were expected to inspect over 30 sites that day. 

On Dec. 30, the Department of Health and Human Services said it froze federal child care funding for Minnesota, citing the viral fraud allegations. The department’s Administration for Children and Families sends some $185 million in child care funds to Minnesota annually, the agency’s head, Alex Adams, said in a video shared by HHS. In an email sent Friday to child care providers shared with The Associated Press by multiple providers, the state agency said it has until Jan. 9 to provide the Trump administration with a set of verifying information about recipients. 

The Associated Press,

Jonah Kaplan,

Daniel Ruetenik and

Joe Walsh

contributed to this report.

Minnesota Fraud

More


Go deeper with The Free Press


Share6Tweet4Share1

Nick Lentz WCCO Staff

Related Posts

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors
Politics

Democrats in Congress press National Park Service on Trump ballroom donors

February 19, 2026
Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize
Politics

Federal tax dollars subsidize health care plans in ways you may not realize

February 19, 2026
Man sprays Rep. Ilhan Omar with unknown substance at town hall
Politics

Inside the surge of threats against public officials fueling a rise in prosecutions

February 19, 2026
Key legislators seek DOJ records on Alex Pretti and Renee Good killings by next week
Politics

Judge holds DOJ lawyer in contempt as tensions flare over immigration cases

February 19, 2026
Trump administration orders review of refugees who entered under Biden, memo shows
Politics

Trump administration gives ICE broader powers to detain legal refugees

February 18, 2026
Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups
Politics

Mass departures from DOJ are boon for law firms, legal groups

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Alleged drug smugglers jumped overboard in recent boat strikes, U.S. military says

Coast Guard halts search for suspected smugglers after U.S. strike

Explosions and low-flying aircraft heard in Venezuela’s capital Caracas

Explosions and low-flying aircraft heard in Venezuela's capital Caracas

Recommended Stories

Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms

Iran calls talks with U.S. “more constructive” as Trump’s threat looms

February 17, 2026
These DHS employees will be impacted by the government shutdown

These DHS employees will be impacted by the government shutdown

February 13, 2026
Transcript: Kirsten Hillman on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” Jan. 25, 2026

Transcript: Kirsten Hillman on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” Jan. 25, 2026

January 25, 2026

Popular Stories

  • Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    Low expectations as Ukraine, Russia confirm new round of talks with U.S.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Obama: Odds are aliens are real but I saw no signs of contact while president

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • U.S. military strikes another alleged drug vessel; search on for 1 survivor

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • How the Trump administration’s account of boat strike has evolved

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • CIA director warns Russian spy chief against deploying nukes

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?