• About
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

How would a government shutdown impact the U.S. military?

by Eleanor Watson
September 29, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
How would a government shutdown impact the U.S. military?

RELATED POSTS

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia

Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

Unless Congress comes to a funding deal ahead of October 1, the government will shut down, forcing active-duty service members to continue to serve without pay until a deal is made. 

During a government shutdown, all active-duty personnel, as well as National Guard who are currently deployed, must carry out their assigned duties with their pay delayed until the shutdown is over. Civilian personnel whose work the Defense Department considers essential, or “excepted,” will also continue to work, while other civilians are furloughed for the duration of the shutdown. 

“After the government shutdown, all government employees will automatically receive back pay, based on the terms of the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act of 2019,” said Seamus Daniels, a fellow for Defense Budget Analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Active-duty service members won’t get paid on time unless Congress passes a separate piece of legislation, as it did in 2013 with the “Pay Our Military Act,” which ensured military pay and allowances continued during a government shutdown. 

Republican Rep. Jen Kiggans of Virginia introduced a bill earlier this month with bipartisan support, the “Pay Our Troops Act of 2026,” which would keep members of the military and Coast Guard paid during a shutdown, but it’s unlikely to pass in time because the House is out of session until Oct 7. 

During the last shutdown in 2019, the Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA offered special loans to members of the military, and they plan to do so again if there’s a shutdown in October. The Navy Federal Credit Union said in a press release it would “offer 0% APR loans to eligible members whose pay may be affected, continuing a tradition of assistance seen during previous shutdowns in 2011, 2013 and 2018-2019, when nearly 20,000 members received support.” USAA plans to offer eligible members who have accounts with the bank a “no-interest loan equal to the amount of one net paycheck.”

The Defense Department published contingency guidance on Friday, outlining its priority missions and stating that unused funds passed in the reconciliation bill over the summer could be considered to support them. The list includes, in order: operations to secure the U.S. Southern Border, Middle East operations, the U.S. missile defense project Golden Dome for America, depot maintenance, shipbuilding and critical munitions. 

The guidance estimates about 406,000 of the department’s 741,000 civilian employees will be required to work in the event of a shutdown because their mission is critical and not easily carried out by any U.S. service member. 

While a memo from the White House Office of Management and Budget said some civilians could be laid off during the shutdown, the guidance released by the Defense Department outlines furloughs but no cuts to the civilian workforce. 

During the shutdown, medical care and dental care would be excepted, according to the contingency guidance, but elective surgeries and other elective procedures would be delayed unless they’re necessary for military readiness. Private health care using the Defense Department’s TRICARE medical insurance would continue uninterrupted.

Eleanor Watson

Eleanor Watson is a CBS News multi-platform reporter and producer covering the Pentagon.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Eleanor Watson

Related Posts

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia
Politics

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia

August 17, 2026
Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building
Politics

Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

August 17, 2026
Trump takes aim at longtime ally Oman as Strait of Hormuz remains gridlocked
Politics

Trump takes aim at longtime ally Oman as Strait of Hormuz remains gridlocked

August 17, 2026
8/17: CBS Evening News
Politics

8/17: CBS Evening News

August 17, 2026
8/17: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

8/17: The Takeout with Major Garrett

August 17, 2026
House Ethics investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez for alleged sexual misconduct
Politics

House Ethics investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez for alleged sexual misconduct

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Trump and Netanyahu say they have a peace proposal for Gaza

Trump and Netanyahu say they have a peace proposal for Gaza

Judge suspends Trump’s plan to cut jobs at Voice of America’s parent agency

Judge suspends Trump's plan to cut jobs at Voice of America's parent agency

Recommended Stories

Trump secretly switched to different plane in Turkey amid Iran threat

Trump’s secret plane switch took place within a day of credible missile threat

August 12, 2026
8/3: The Takeout with Major Garrett

Trump to announce $180 million to boost mining education

August 7, 2026
ICE detentions set Trump-era high in July, as immigration crackdown widens

ICE detentions set Trump-era high in July, as immigration crackdown widens

August 3, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    104 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    27 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • How Jeffrey Epstein parlayed his elite network into a $25 million payday

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?