• About
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Judge blocks Trump admin. from expanding fast-track deportations nationwide

by Camilo Montoya-Galvez
August 29, 2025
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Texas man arrested for allegedly making bomb threats outside ICE facility

RELATED POSTS

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

A federal judge on Friday blocked a Trump administration effort to expand fast-track deportations throughout the U.S. under a process known as expedited removal, indicating that officials are trampling on migrants’ due process through the policy’s expansion.

While it will almost certainly be appealed, Friday’s order is a major setback for the Trump administration’s mass deportation efforts, including its campaign to arrest asylum-seekers at immigration courthouses across the U.S. — an operation that has relied on the expansion of expedited removal.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Jia Cobb paused a January directive that had expanded the expedited removal policy — long limited to border areas and recent arrivals — to anywhere in the country and to those who arrived in the past two years.

Expedited removal allows federal immigration officials to quickly deport certain migrants, without allowing them to see an immigration judge, unless they claim asylum and pass an interview with a U.S. asylum officer. Before President Trump took office for a second time, the fast-track deportations only applied to unauthorized migrants apprehended within 100 miles of an international border and who had been in the U.S. for less than two weeks.

Cobb said the pro-immigrant advocates who challenged the legality of the nationwide expansion of expedited removal had made a “strong showing” that the effort “violates the due process rights of those it affects.”

“In so holding, the Court does not cast doubt on the constitutionality of the expedited removal statute, nor on its longstanding application at the border,” Cobb wrote in her opinion. “It merely holds that in applying the statute to a huge group of people living in the interior of the country who have not previously been subject to expedited removal, the Government must afford them due process. The procedures currently in place fall short.”

Cobb indefinitely postponed the January expansion of expedited removal, and guidance issued to implement it.

Representatives for the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday’s order. 

More from CBS News

Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Related Posts

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint
Politics

SSA chief data officer resigns after filing whistleblower complaint

August 29, 2025
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”
Politics

Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sending troops to Chicago would be an “invasion”

August 29, 2025
Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime
Politics

Gov. Pritzker fears Trump’s push for troops in Chicago isn’t just about fighting crime

August 29, 2025
Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine
Politics

Pentagon mulls speeding process to reinstate troops discharged over Covid vaccine

August 29, 2025
Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting
Politics

Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting

August 29, 2025
Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them
Politics

Appeals court rules many of Trump’s tariffs are illegal, but doesn’t halt them

August 29, 2025

Recommended Stories

Trump names new BLS head after firing old commissioner amid weak jobs report

Trump names new BLS head after firing old commissioner amid weak jobs report

August 11, 2025
Majority of ICE arrests in Trump’s first 5 months were in these states

Majority of ICE arrests in Trump’s first 5 months were in these states

July 31, 2025
Texas Democratic legislators flee state to protest GOP’s redistricting plan

Texas Democratic legislators flee state to protest GOP’s redistricting plan

August 3, 2025

Popular Stories

  • Kilmar Abrego Garcia to seek asylum in U.S.

    Abrego Garcia’s ask judge to ban “baseless public attacks” by Trump admin.

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Gabbard cutting Director of National Intelligence staff by roughly 40%

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Supreme Court allows mass firings at Education Department for now

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Court blocks Trump from ending legal protections for 600,000 Venezuelans

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Missouri’s Republican governor calls special session on redistricting

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?