• About
  • Contact
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World
No Result
View All Result
The US Inquirer
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

700 Marines to withdraw from L.A., Pentagon says

by Eleanor Watson
July 21, 2025
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
700 Marines to withdraw from L.A., Pentagon says

RELATED POSTS

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia

Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

The roughly 700 active-duty Marines who deployed to Los Angeles earlier this summer following protests against immigration policies will head home, the Pentagon said Monday. 

“With stability returning to Los Angeles, the Secretary [of Defense] has directed the redeployment of the 700 Marines whose presence sent a clear message: lawlessness will not be tolerated,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement. 

CNN was first to report the Marines were being sent home. 

The 700 Marines from the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division arrived in the L.A. area in June joining members of the California National Guard President Trump federalized to protect federal property and personnel in the wake of protests and at times, violent clashes between protesters and law enforcement.  

The deployment of active-duty troops to city streets within the United States is rare, as is federalizing a state’s National Guard despite objections from the state’s governor. California’s Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom, said the military presence was not necessary to respond to protests and could inflame the situation. Newsom sued over the National Guard deployment, arguing that Mr. Trump had “unlawfully bypassed” Newsom by sending in federal troops. 

When asked what the bar is that determines whether to deploy active-duty Marines, President Trump told reporters in early June, “The bar is what I think it is. I mean, if we see danger to our country and to our citizens, uh, we’ll be very, very strong in terms of law and order.”

Last week, the Pentagon released about 2,000 of the 4,000 members of the National Guard in L.A. With the Marines headed home, there are still about 2,000 guardsmen in the L.A. area to protect federal property and personnel as they conduct law enforcement. 

The immigration protests largely dissipated since June, although the ICE raids have continued. 

More from CBS News

Eleanor Watson

Eleanor Watson is a CBS News multi-platform reporter and producer covering the Pentagon.

Share6Tweet4Share1

Eleanor Watson

Related Posts

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia
Politics

DOJ asks court to reinstate criminal charges against Abrego Garcia

August 17, 2026
Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building
Politics

Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

August 17, 2026
Trump takes aim at longtime ally Oman as Strait of Hormuz remains gridlocked
Politics

Trump takes aim at longtime ally Oman as Strait of Hormuz remains gridlocked

August 17, 2026
8/17: CBS Evening News
Politics

8/17: CBS Evening News

August 17, 2026
8/17: The Takeout with Major Garrett
Politics

8/17: The Takeout with Major Garrett

August 17, 2026
House Ethics investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez for alleged sexual misconduct
Politics

House Ethics investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez for alleged sexual misconduct

August 17, 2026
Next Post
White House removes Wall Street Journal reporter from Trump’s Scotland trip over Epstein story

White House removes Wall Street Journal reporter from Trump's Scotland trip over Epstein story

Gabbard reignites political battles with 2016 election documents on Russia

Gabbard reignites political battles with 2016 election documents on Russia

Recommended Stories

Progressive Abdul El-Sayed projected to win Michigan Democratic Senate primary

Progressive Abdul El-Sayed projected to win Michigan Democratic Senate primary

August 5, 2026
Hugging Face CEO calls hack by rogue OpenAI model “very weird and unprecedented”

Hugging Face CEO calls hack by rogue OpenAI model “very weird and unprecedented”

August 2, 2026
Maine Democrats meet to select Senate nominee to replace Graham Platner

Maine Democrats meet to select Senate nominee to replace Graham Platner

July 25, 2026

Popular Stories

  • California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    California’s construction industry hurt by ICE raids, builder says

    104 shares
    Share 42 Tweet 26
  • Trump decrees any attack on Qatar be treated as threat to U.S.

    27 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • How Jeffrey Epstein parlayed his elite network into a $25 million payday

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Musk flew to China near end of OpenAI trial, after judge warned he could be recalled

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “Tsunami” of immigration cases strains U.S. Attorney’s offices across America

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
The US Inquirer

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
  • Ethics
  • Fact Checking and Corrections Policies
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • ISSN: 2832-0522

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Crime
  • World

© 2023 The US Inquirer

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?